A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 14th September 2016, 09:01 PM

Default Carbon on top of valves

Hi,

Don't mind me but isn't the carbon from BURNED fuel, not the case on top of the valve??

Robert
Old 14th September 2016, 09:13 PM

I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain how it happens, but V10's FSI engines suffer from it the same way as B7 RS4's and others (maybe not as bad).
My other 8, 3.7 V8 petrol did not suffer from carbon build up at all. It's all to do with the position of the injectors on them two engines.
Someone else will be along shortly to explain it properly

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 14th September 2016, 09:33 PM

I read it was little remnants of oil that burned and turned into carbon.

2008 Audi S8
Old 14th September 2016, 09:41 PM

Yes picture the scene in the usual household oven where the oil spits onto the surfaces of the oven, then left uncleaned for months or years it gets baked on and is a bitch to clean.

Well the exact same thing is going on in the engine because the oil vapour is travelling from the crankcase to the combustion chamber for recycling.

On direct injected engines (fsi) there is no fuel to wash the valves of this oil mist so it get baked on.

Old 15th September 2016, 05:09 PM

OK, so Marcin's thread has got me tempted to do the clean myself, but I still find it really daunting. I've not yet ruled it out but I'm weighing up my options.

I spoke to the VWAS place in Harrow and they gave me their quote for the carbon cleaning today. They were marginally more expensive than the others, even after the introductory discount but I have to say he impressed me with his knowledge. Not only did he know the engine well, but I also struggled to get a word in when he started talking about flaps and airflow, which tells me he still has some enthusiasm for his work.

Our conversation got me thinking about injectors... Wouldn't it make sense to have them ultrasonically cleaned at the same time? I had them done on my Cavalier and even a particularly uninterested neighbour noticed how smooth the car was after having them done. It was a long time ago, but I remember the cleaning wasn't exactly cheap, and I'd be multiplying by ten this time around.

Thoughts? Anyone had theirs done? I'm wondering if it's worth it, considering the high fuel pressures run in Audis. Surely, they must stay reasonably clean anyway?

2008 Audi S8
Old 15th September 2016, 05:24 PM

Still worth doing Tony, once your in that deep it just makes sense to do it.

have a look for a asnu service centre near youhttp://www.asnu.com/service-centres

You need a place thats green or yellow as the FSI injectors require a different unit.

Old 15th September 2016, 06:09 PM

Thanks Del

I made three enquiries from that site, so will hopefully have news soon.

Aren't the injectors a pig to get seated correctly once they've been removed? I seem to remember it being a pig of a job to get right.

I know the Terraclean will have helped the injectors, but there's no way of knowing how good/bad they are... is there?

2008 Audi S8
Old 15th September 2016, 06:23 PM

I would do them if you can, it will take you couple of days at least to do decoke which I do recommend you to do it yourself, you will get great pleasure from doing it yourself.
I simply forgot to do mine if it was on my list as I was more focused on the other issues I wanted to get clarity on by reinstalling the manifold.

It's an interesting question about reinstalling the injectors, I've got no idea myself.

Because my engine is all put together now, I will do terraclean and see how it goes, it's only £120 for an engine over 2.0 so worth having a go in my case.

Yes you can, VCDS it, it will tell you all you need about your injectors from live data as long you know what are the values you should expect. I've done this before, but had nothing to refer to so couldn't say if injectors are good, ok or bad.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 15th September 2016, 06:26 PM

I really do need to explore the abilities of VCDS some more...

Thanks Marcin, much appreciated.

If you're willing to drive up to Milton Keynes for your terraclean, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy that does mine... He's brilliant.

2008 Audi S8
Old 15th September 2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
I really do need to explore the abilities of VCDS some more...

Thanks Marcin, much appreciated.

If you're willing to drive up to Milton Keynes for your terraclean, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy that does mine... He's brilliant.
That would be great mate Appreciated
I prefer to go to trusted places and the garage which done my two cars before was a bit sh1t and since then I haven't found second terra place.
And I'm always up for a drive, always !!!
As a fact I'm going tomorrow to a new exhaust place to do mine which Conquistador recommended over the weekend when he came to my place for a catch up. Me and even Del we both loved it and that's why I'm going to try them out.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10