A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 6th May 2010, 09:52 PM

Default ipod attaching

anyone got a suggestion for ipod attachment? I can't stand the radio transmitter option so in my old car i had a very nice sony ipod unit with full control and that was great. What are my options? I've seen 1 thats effectively replacing my autochanger for ipod, one that involves complicated rewiring, and another that suggests it joins pod to the 'changer wiring but says it will still work? I don't give a monkeys about charging the pod, just want the music.....who uses what, where from and how much? simpler the better, i don't want to rewire the thing!
Old 7th May 2010, 11:14 AM

Dension 100 with the CD changer retention option. Easy plug-in in back of RNS-D. Drilled a small hole in the back of the cubby under the ACC controls to pass cable through - haven't bothered with a cradle.

Simples

Zip
Old 7th May 2010, 01:52 PM

try Halfords,I bought a Connects2 kit for the Audi A4, which has steering wheel controls and it works great, charges the ipod.I think it was around £100ish, 2years ago.
Old 7th May 2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Dension 100 with the CD changer retention option. Easy plug-in in back of RNS-D. Drilled a small hole in the back of the cubby under the ACC controls to pass cable through - haven't bothered with a cradle.

Simples

Zip
X2

www.facebook.com/obdworks
full genuine ross-tech vcds
full genuine vag- tacho
full genuine mpps flash mapping
Old 7th May 2010, 03:56 PM

ahhhhhh...but, i only have concert bose option, no nav....just to complicate things.
Old 7th May 2010, 05:43 PM

should still fit - check the web

Zip
Old 14th May 2010, 07:23 PM

To continue on this discussion, I've pretty much copied & pasted this from my post on the A8OC website......

For a while I've wanted to integrate my iPod/ Phone into my stereo on my '98 Pre-Facelift S8 with a concert head unit......

The Dension Gateway 300 is now installed (roughly not final) with the CD retention kit.
The unit plugs into the standard wiring loom between the head unit and the wiring harness, in the top mini iso block. the CD retention kit plugs in either side of the gateway and into the head unit and wiring loom, so its pretty simple stuff. All you have to do is find an earth for the Dension wiring (I used the head unit earth as it was simple and convenient) and to stow away the unit tidily so the radio will fit back in.
I have to route the cables and bring them out tidily to suitable points still. That is the iPod/ Phone plug and the USB socket for memory sticks etc.
The iPod charges whilst connected, which is handy and only uses one connector rather than some that use the 3.5mm jack as well.
The USB charges as well.

The sound quality is very good, though I hope to improve that with a retrofittwd Bose setup
OR my 3 x JL Audio 12W6's with a .6KW amp & Soundstream 24dB X-over, the boot's big enough!.... but that's another story.

To control it from the head unit on a pre-facelift with non text display on head unit (concert), you must learn the button pressing sequences to operate the iPod fully, switch back and forth to cd autochanger.

This is quite confusing at first, but I'm getting the hang of it. currently I'm selecting album on the iPod and tracks on the head unit. I keep the manual nearby and am getting better at this.
As I said previously, the unit is primarily designed for the facelift onwards with text displays.

The USB will also power a Hard Disc Drive, though apparently some need a power boost. If you don't want the USB facility then the slightly cheaper Gateway 100 model should suffice.

Whilst not the utopian solution I was hoping for, it certainly works pretty well. Apparently there are plans to release a bluetooth add on for this unit, though I have not seen one yet.

I may be tempted to go more radical though, if I can find a double din centre console to fit in my 8. The facelift console seems like quite a lot of work with the aircon, non latching switches, canbus etc to deal with, 'cos knowing me.... I'd want to go with the facelift dash as well etc......

Hope this helps anyone who's interested...

Richard.

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!
Old 15th May 2010, 11:16 AM

I also forgot to mention that there's a 30 day returns policy if you're not satisfied and lifetime technical support for the unit.

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!