A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 28th December 2020, 11:31 PM

Default My VW T2 Camper Van

Having rebuilt the engine a few years back.
Managed to put it back in with the gearbox and last week after some faffing, it works

https://youtu.be/GuRExGyB4e0

Nearly ready for the road next year (this has been a 15 year project so far )

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 29th December 2020, 10:52 AM

Nice - sounds very smooth-running too. I miss my Beetling days .

Roll on 2021, when you'll hopefully have this out on the road again

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 29th December 2020, 01:27 PM

From 1958 to 1961 I did a lot of work with VW Bulliys, all were in a delicate shade of Army Green but a lot of miles were covered. I'm attaching a photo taken in 1960. We were on our way to Wolfsburg to visit the VW factory.
The Army guys were my fellow LAD people. The two with black berets and round cap badges were our two MSO (Mixed Services Organisation or displaced people working as pseudo military, unarmed but clothed, fed and accommodated by us, mainly Latvians, Poles and Yugoslavs) drivers.
The civilians were local Germans employed mainly as vehicle mechanics, they could change a VW engine in twenty minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolfsburg Journey 1960.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	24955  

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 29th December 2020, 02:57 PM

What was the cause for it not running initially?

Presume no electronic ignition under the dizzy cap? I think I'd have been a bit nervous having my hand that close to the cap and leads if there were a very juicy spark going on! My dad once had me adjust the dizzy on our Singer Chamois while the engine was running - got thrown back with a hefty jolt, which my dad thought was hilarious

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th December 2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
From 1958 to 1961 I did a lot of work with VW Bulliys, all were in a delicate shade of Army Green but a lot of miles were covered. I'm attaching a photo taken in 1960. We were on our way to Wolfsburg to visit the VW factory.
The Army guys were my fellow LAD people. The two with black berets and round cap badges were our two MSO (Mixed Services Organisation or displaced people working as pseudo military, unarmed but clothed, fed and accommodated by us, mainly Latvians, Poles and Yugoslavs) drivers.
The civilians were local Germans employed mainly as vehicle mechanics, they could change a VW engine in twenty minutes.
Great story and pic Ray

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 29th December 2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
What was the cause for it not running initially?

Presume no electronic ignition under the dizzy cap? I think I'd have been a bit nervous having my hand that close to the cap and leads if there were a very juicy spark going on! My dad once had me adjust the dizzy on our Singer Chamois while the engine was running - got thrown back with a hefty jolt, which my dad thought was hilarious
I have totally rebuilt the van from the bottom up and as I had to take the engine out to rebuild the chassis, why not strip it back and replace what needs replacing to give many more years of service (only changed the piston rings as everything else was in good fettle).

Not electronic ignition but one change I will probably make once it is back on the road.
The cap and leads are new so the chance of getting a jolt or low (I hope...)

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten