A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 28th September 2021, 01:09 PM

Default Ebay Suspension Air pump

Hi there,

Over the years i've played with the suspension air pump a few times. Got a bagpipe any kit early on and got a good 2-3 years from it - so this route is still recommended if you have an early issue, working but a bit slow. A second kit didn't do so much and a 2nd hand pump lasted a year or so and well, i was at the low end of a bumpy ride

Given that i was VERY impressed with the Chinese EPB calliper kit that instantly sorted my EPB issues for a very sensible price, i thought why not risk an air pump.

Very well packaged, with relay and it all looks great, there's the odd minor cosmetic difference between the OEM one, but fitted fine and the car is performing better than ever with it, so i thought I'd make a note here - ~£150 delivered is small beer compared with Audi and it makes second hand ones look expensive. It IS early days, but the initial impression is that I'm impressed.

speedinguys
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293061013398

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 28th September 2021, 01:20 PM

Ugh. Literally yesterday I was contemplating one of these vs a good used original (for an Allroad), and I settled on the used one for 50% more than the Maxspeedingrods new one.

Time will tell I guess. I really don't want to do this job again in a year
Old 28th September 2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Ugh. Literally yesterday I was contemplating one of these vs a good used original (for an Allroad), and I settled on the used one for 50% more than the Maxspeedingrods new one.
Oh Sorry. It came through a few weeks back, but i didn't really want to post until fitted and tested - Also this is still initial thoughts rather than a year or two down the line - They look solid and decent and certainly off the bat work well, only time will tell!

A decent aged used one is still OEM and some people like the Audi originality - My car is FAR from show and probably most people here would be horrified at her and the fact she's a work horse!

Previous :

Also :
Old 28th September 2021, 02:54 PM

Useful info still I'm generally of the opinion that good used is better than new Chinesium so we'll have to compare notes in a year
Old 28th September 2021, 05:57 PM

What about the Aerosus ones?

https://aerosus.co.uk/audi/a8-d3/d3.html
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 29th September 2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Useful info still I'm generally of the opinion that good used is better than new Chinesium so we'll have to compare notes in a year
Indeed. I bought off the back of the EPB one and well that's now had a fair amount of time and has been surprisingly good. The pump when it goes just seems to give a terrible bumpy ride on mine, so i don't consider critical and having dealt with Chinese suppliers if the quality is decent and it works, then things typically stay working....You can have a nasty attrition in QA first though - I've some suppliers with panels that are scrapping ~50% but it's still cheaper than getting made in the UK. Lord knows the environmental costs though

@Homer I've no personal knowledge there. I believe they've been mentioned here before with being WAY cheaper than Audi and i'm sure someone will have used them, but that's as far as I know. Probably decent!

Previous :

Also :
Old 30th September 2021, 08:18 PM

Actually, we can compare notes now. The replacement original pump I got was also fubar, but in a slightly different way. Having negotiated a satisfactory partial refund with the seller, I proceeded to strip both down, get one set of good parts from two duff units, and then built it back up again with new piston ring and dessicant.

5 hours later, I have a compressor which hopefully will work, but which has cost me about £400 in terms of time and parts. I could have bought the Aerosus and the Maxspeedingrods units for that

Given that the compressor lives under the car in our salty wet climate and in the case of the Allroad, under the back of a car designed to go off-road, I very much doubt there are many good used units left after 20 years. Possibly parts could be used from other makes where the same type of compressor is housed inside the vehicle, but I certainly won't bother rebuilding one again.

Lesson learned