A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 16th March 2023, 07:06 PM

Default FL S8 discs & pads NLA at TPS?

The brakes squeak horribly on my Dolphin s8 so I asked my pal to order me new front & rear discs and pads from TPS. He said they laughed and said these have been NLA for ages.

He ordered me brand new ones from TPS about 4 years ago on my Green beast so I didn’t expect any issues this time round. I always buy OE brakes where possible because I can’t deal with squeaky brakes but it looks like I will need to try an alternative this time round.

This thread is the most recent one I found by the Laird.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16684

Would you say this is the best route? How have they faired since being fitted? Any squeaky shenanigans?

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 16th March 2023, 11:20 PM

Febi discs & TRW pads are currently the most satisfactory combination I've found.
Old 17th March 2023, 03:34 AM

For the brake discs I find that cheap discs are usually made out of steel instead of cast iron. I am not talking about the process of making them as steel discs are still made by casting and then machining but about classification where iron with less than 2% carbon is called steel and cast iron is over 2% carbon.

Simple cast iron is cheap to make but extra carbon make it brittle and not suitable for brake discs, to make stronger cast iron more advanced , more expensive manufacturing techniques and additives are needed so many cheap manufacturers just choose steel. Cast iron has better thermal properties, better corrosion resistance and is less likely to squeak. It also wears slower so cast iron discs last longer. On the other hand steel is stronger and has lower density, discs can be made thinner reducing weight or you can let the wear thinner an still maintain required strength. On the track car it might be beneficial to get steel discs if you can save weight but for everyday driver cast iron is more suitable. The issue is that manufacturers are not very upfront about material or carbon conten. It's also not necessarily easy to tell when you have them in your hand. Easiest indicator is probably when they are on the car when it's raining to compare how quickly and how rusted friction surface gets when parked in rain.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 17th March 2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Febi discs & TRW pads are currently the most satisfactory combination I've found.
I think I’ll give them a try MJ. The discs I found using your part numbers in the previous post from The Laird, but I can’t seem to find the pads! I think they are out of stock

If you get a chance could you help me find a set please

Old 17th March 2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
For the brake discs I find that cheap discs are usually made out of steel instead of cast iron. I am not talking about the process of making them as steel discs are still made by casting and then machining but about classification where iron with less than 2% carbon is called steel and cast iron is over 2% carbon.

Simple cast iron is cheap to make but extra carbon make it brittle and not suitable for brake discs, to make stronger cast iron more advanced , more expensive manufacturing techniques and additives are needed so many cheap manufacturers just choose steel. Cast iron has better thermal properties, better corrosion resistance and is less likely to squeak. It also wears slower so cast iron discs last longer. On the other hand steel is stronger and has lower density, discs can be made thinner reducing weight or you can let the wear thinner a still maintain required strength. On the track car it might be beneficial to get steel discs if you can save weight but for everyday driver cast iron is more suitable. The issue is that manufacturers are not very upfront about material or carbon conten. It's also not necessarily easy to tell when you have them in your hand. Easiest indicator is probably when they are on the car when it's raining to compare how quickly and how rusted friction surface gets when parked in rain.
Interesting. I have noticed that the discs rust up very quickly on these so I think you’re on to something.

I don’t like the way they feel under heavy braking either so I can’t wait to change them.

Old 17th March 2023, 06:32 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

The brakes on my S8 have never been better since taking MJ’s recommendations for discs and pads. And fitting MJ’s little aluminium brake block by the master cylinder, of course.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 17th March 2023 at 06:49 AM.
Old 17th March 2023, 07:37 AM

I think they are the same combination found on mine and have had no issues for the last few thousand miles they have been on the car.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 17th March 2023, 08:07 AM

Excellent. As soon as I can work out the correct parts I will buy them and get my pal to fit them.

I have the aluminium brake block in place as well…..on both 8’s actually. It made a huge difference on the pedal feel on Dolph. Now it’s the actual brakes themselves that let it down

Old 18th March 2023, 09:18 AM

Brake discs purchased…hopefully the correct ones

Fronts
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334748752...3ABFBMmI__w95h

Rears
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334690164...3ABFBMwrWyxN5h

I can’t seem to locate the pads. If anyone can help me track down a pair front & rear that would be appreciated.

Last edited by RICKY D; 18th March 2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 18th March 2023, 09:29 AM

I think I found a set

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195422286...Bk9SR8rXz8TeYQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153169116...3ABFBMqvTdxN5h

Is anyone able to confirm before I hit the buy button