A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 12th March 2020, 05:22 PM

Default Could Pioneerīs new multimedia receiver be retrofitted in a D2?

Hello everyone.
I am wondering if Pioneers new
Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX
10.1" Multimedia Receiver with Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay (Wired, Wireless), Android Auto (Wired, Wireless), Amazon Alexa Built-in (PRE-ORDER: AVAILABILITY IN LATE APRIL) would fit in a D2?

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/10/.../?guccounter=1

Edit: I am sorry, this thread should have been in D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98

Last edited by Regulus; 12th March 2020 at 05:26 PM. Reason: post in wrong list
Old 12th March 2020, 06:56 PM

Off with the fairies price tag (Ģ1200) aside, I can't find actual dimensions for the damn thing anywhere

I am pretty sure looking at comparisons to a standard double-din unit that it is too tall for a D2 dash though.
Old 12th March 2020, 07:18 PM

OK. Thank you MJ. I haven't seen the dimensions either

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 12th March 2020, 08:53 PM

Some quick calculations based on a 16:9 unit with 10.1" diagonal says 222mm wide by 125mm high. An RNS-D is 227 wide by 124 high so actually its borderline whether it would fit or not, depending on how accurate that 10.1" dimension actually is. If there's a bezel round it then no bueno, but if thats the actual unit then some slight shaving of either the wood surround, or the climate unit would allow it to fit, probably with a 3D printed bezel at the sides.

I did see that there is a cheaper version of the modular unit - the C5500NEX for ~Ģ500. It doesn't appear to be available int he UK though.
Old 12th March 2020, 10:10 PM

Looking at the pics, is it not designed for a single din slot with a "floating" screen?
Old 12th March 2020, 10:36 PM

The promo vid from Pioneer suggests it was designed for cars which already have the screen separated from the electronics in the way the D3 does, although there are pics of it in classics too, mounted in the manner you describe.

I see it as something which could occupy all the real estate in the D2's dash, which would make a welcome change from a 6" screen in an aftermarket unit which is then surrounded by bezels and wasted space. It may be that the single din control unit could sit behind it, or it may be able to be tucked away in the boot with the Bose amp depending on the cable length.

If it was available in the UK it would be worth finding one and measuring it

Edit - Just looking at Pioneer's UK site, they do actually have exactly that - a floating screen unit designed to go in a single-din dash aperture. That's different to the remote-electronics one which Johannes found though, which we don't appear to get. The floating screen units are 8" so would be an easier fit in the dash, but the screen does not appear to decouple so wouldn't work in this context.

Edit edit - it looks like the floating screen unit simply uses the single-din slot as a mounting bracket, and in fact has all the electronics in the screen unit itself. That definitely offers some new possibilities... More investigation needed

https://www.halfords.com/technology/...eo-212902.html

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 12th March 2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 13th March 2020, 03:09 PM

These units are simultaneously interesting and frustrating! There is next to no information on them, no screen dimensions anywhere that I can find, and no one keeps them in stock.

The Euro models (SPH-EVO62 and 82) appear like they might be suitable. The 62 is standard double-din size so pointless, but the 82 appears to be slightly larger. Some pics show it with a bezel round the display, but some show it bare. Nowhere does it say whether it can be decoupled from the electronics unit. The 82 is Ģ600 which is RNSe money, but it is a far more capable unit.

I have emailed Pioneer customer services to ask about dimensions and mounting options...
Old 13th March 2020, 04:03 PM
Banned

Just get yourself this http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15445

Save yourself a grand and cutting up your dash etc.
Old 14th March 2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I have emailed Pioneer customer services to ask about dimensions and mounting options...
These units are brand new. Being introduced this spring (at least the one I referenced). And great news that you are investigating this MJ

Johannes
_________
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 10th February 2021, 07:45 AM

Default Yes the Pioneer fits perfectly

Yes the Pioneer fits perfectly I’ve just done it, the TV is excellent