A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 1st February 2012, 09:31 PM

Question Fuel pump belt

Just had my 2006 D3 3.0 tdi serviced and told that I should have the fuel pump belt replaced as this is a dealership recomendation although not a routine service schedule item from Audi. I said OK until they told me it involved 3 1/2 hrs labour and then declined. Anyone had any similar experience and should I bite the bullet? I didn't realise the engine used a belt driven pump, is there an electric upgrade available? Was planning to spend some cash changing the ATF soon. Any advice welcome.

3.0 Tdi sport keyless entry / start digital TV/radio 19inch rims currently using aftermarket 18 inch lookalike alloys with Vredestein wintrac extreme tyres waiting for some snow!

Jem
Old 7th February 2012, 01:03 PM

I have a 04 3.0tdi and had this work done a few months back. Dealer advised that the interval is 100,000 miles for fuel pump belt,roller etc. Labour was 3 hours. Worth doing for peace of mind if the miles are mounting up.
ATF change is likely to cost similar money, ZF who make the autobox recommend the ATF be changed every 60,000 miles. Audi claim it is good for the life of the car ????
Old 7th February 2012, 04:51 PM

I would just look at the condition. Mine looks fine at 182,000 miles and if it breaks all that would happen is the engine would stop as the fuel would stop being injected.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:59 PM

Thanks for comments, mine has 80k miles and now 5 years old so I think I'll be prioritising the transmission fluid change. Driving to the Alps on friday so I'll probably get a good chance to test the snow tyres. Last time I went the trip average was a whisker over 40mpg cruising at the limit of 85 on autoroute. Return journey went from 30 mile east of Geneva to hull on 3/4 tank of diesel.
Cheers
Radman
Old 8th February 2012, 10:11 AM

You can unclip a plastic cover off the front of the top of the engine and look at the belt easily enough. Look at it for a few minutes before you start so you know how it goes back. While it is off, clean the back and check the belt for splits or signs of ageing. You can wipe around it with a damp cloth if it is dirty/dusty, then refit the cover.