A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 13th January 2017, 06:54 PM

Great stuff mate, thanks
Looks pretty straight forward even if I'm not the biggest fan of soldering ribbons.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 13th January 2017, 07:32 PM

Lcd displays can be done with a steady hand.
Dis needs a hot air soldering station to be done with any degree of success

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 13th January 2017, 07:32 PM

I'm failing miserably to find any supplier selling replacement screens.
Good thing that clusters can be bought from abroad from as low as £30, but you all guys are saying that this pixel issue shows up after some time of driving so even if s listing has a picture of plugged in and working cluster what guarantee is there that they are in full working order long term/drives.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 13th January 2017, 08:04 PM

BBA-Reman down in Rochester can repair dashboards with pixel issues, remove the dash and send it to them and they can normally turn it around in 2-3 days
Details here -
https://www.bba-reman.com/gb/catalog...ledproduct=284

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 13th January 2017, 08:07 PM

Yeah, I'm well aware of them and other guys, but the issue here is the milage and clock screens (two little ones), and can't find replacements for sale.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 13th January 2017, 08:08 PM

Neil, can they do facelift D2s?
I've seen several people offering that service for the lower-resolution PF versions, but not the FL versions.

I really need mine doing, not due to pixels but being blank when cold.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th January 2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Yeah, I'm well aware of them and other guys, but the issue here is the milage and clock screens (two little ones), and can't find replacements for sale.
Yes the small 2 screens are the ones that tend to go, it's exactly what they do they fix the damaged ones whichever ones are causing the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Neil, can they do facelift D2s?
I've seen several people offering that service for the lower-resolution PF versions, but not the FL versions.

I really need mine doing, not due to pixels but being blank when cold.
Yes I'm pretty sure they can Andrew but give them a call for peace of mind

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 13th January 2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 13th January 2017, 08:32 PM

Ah ok, that's great then. It could be a much better solution for you guys if price is right especially if they fit new ones unless it's down to one faulty components not the actual screens which made me think now that this could be the actual cause and not the screens.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 13th January 2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Ah ok, that's great then. It could be a much better solution for you guys if price is right especially if they fit new ones unless it's down to one faulty components not the actual screens which made me think now that this could be the actual cause and not the screens.
It used to be £180 for a cluster repair there a few years ago so maybe a little more now, but would be interested to know

Old 13th January 2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
It used to be £180 for a cluster repair there a few years ago so maybe a little more now, but would be interested to know
Yeah, it would be good to know. I can see why it cost so much. They are not silly, they know the cost involved in changing the cluster on D2s and hassle hence the price. Especially that Dis screen is cheap.
If it's only two little screens I would expect it to be lower as I am almost convinced that this fault is down more to a transistor not the actual displays.
And if that's what it is than a diy solder job on component like that is very easy.
Cost would be minima as well, time it takes not long either and don't need to send it away.
Could possibly enquire about it and see if they will share some light on this issue and confirm the fix ... but whoever enquiries about can't sound like they know what they are talking about

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10