A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 23rd January 2012, 07:38 PM

Default Heater efficiency

Still sorting out the niggles with D2, here is another problem that needs to be fixed.

Dont know if to post here or interior electrics, so here will do for now.

Basically the fan output from the vents is pretty poor even with the fan on full blast and the vents open and the button pressed to open it on the climate control.

I did some playing around in the office carpark, and discovered that if I switch to recirculate mode then the output from the vents increases dramatically for the same fan speed. Googling suggests that maybe the flaps on the heater box under the bonnet are not opening fully and thus not letting much air through.

I found a thread the other day where someone fixed a similar issue by doing something with these flaps but I cannot find the thread again, and I don't think it mentioned what they did.

Whilst not an issue at the moment, as I do get heat just not much of it. This June the car is due to be driven to the Costa del Sol and near 30c heat so I need the aircon to have as much output as possible.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 23rd January 2012, 08:00 PM

The thread you are probably looking for is HERE

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the reply,

Which flap does that motor control, I think my symptoms maybe different in that I have no weird noises or similar behind the dash apart from when I press the control buttons to open / close the vents and these seems to work as they should as long as I am in recirculation mode. Looking back at the reams of paperwork that came with my car, Amersham Audi replaced the recirculation valve 32K miles ago in 2008.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:09 PM

When the fan in my sons polo stopped 'working', I replaced the pollen filter. It was fine after that.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:26 AM

I have been under the bonnet this morning, I removed the cover from the centre blower motor area and observed the 2 flaps.

On recirculation both are closed as you would expect, but switch to normal mode and they only move slightly so not much air gets through.

Both the flaps feel very easy to move and kind of flop around suggesting they are not connected to the motor properly, and if I manually move them so they are open then the interior air flow is excellent. However switching between recirc and normal puts them back in the almost closed position.

I have identified the control motor, and trying to remove it from the side of the box is proving somewhat difficult as getting at one of the screws is somewhat awkward.
Old 29th January 2012, 01:00 PM

another update, I took the motor off the side of the flaps and the motor spindle seems to be nice and tight.

The small plastic drive connection between the motor and flaps also seems to be pretty secure but when mated back together there seems to be some play somewhere. I took the plastic drive off the flaps and placed it onto the motor drive, there is no apparent play at this point.

Running out of time I have put it all back together, and of course its behaving just as before. I have noticed that the flaps move to different positions, so if I switch between recirc and normal a few times it is possible to get the flaps to be open enough to let air flow through.

Found a thread on audiworld with someone having the same problem, and there is a video showing the flaps and mine move nowhere near this amount.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2813312

Last edited by mannyo; 29th January 2012 at 01:02 PM.