A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 9th February 2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
where does that filter sits? ill be checking mine before giving it awa to be regassed
....just thinking the same thing!

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 9th February 2021, 08:01 AM

It lives in the smaller of the two AC pipes just behind the union here:

De-gas the AC first obvs. 22 and 24mm spanners, soak it in WD40 for a day or two beforehand if you can, and protect the wing with a cloth as they can be a bit tough to undo. Pull the filter out with needle-nose pliers, lubricate the o-ring on the new one with PAG AC oil and push it back in the pipe.

The part number is 4B0820177 and its usually referred to as a choke as it has a measured orifice for the gas to move through (and is what can be heard hissing when the car is turned off). The filter is actually a secondary purpose. OE is about £30 but there are plenty of branded ones on ebay. The Mahle one here is £5.

You'll also need round seal 8E0260749 for the union.

When I'm doing an AC service I'll swap both this part and the drier together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acfilter.png
Views:	728
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	25506  
Old 9th February 2021, 10:32 AM

I was never aware that part existed either - would hazard a guess that a significant number have never had it changed.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 9th February 2021, 01:23 PM

The AC lines must route differently on a RHD car than a LHD car? I bought a new one for my car, but haven't changed it yet, because I realized I couldn't actually get wrenches on the line without disassembling more stuff than I had planned on.
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 9th February 2021, 01:32 PM

Yes, they will be different as the wiper linkage is over on that side on LHD, whereas RHD we have the electronics box there.
Old 9th February 2021, 08:36 PM

Finished off under the bonnet, and then remembered I plan to swap this for a better one once lockdown is over and I can drive up to Prestige Still, its nicer to work under now.

Swapped out the struts for some nicer ones as the originals were pretty crusty

Fuel pipe rubber mounts all cleaned up and ready to go back on

and installed with the new clips and plastic bolt-things

Replaced the fuel filter

As suspected, this is the original filter from the factory. 320k miles on one fuel filter I will cut this open to see what it looks like inside.

The rear undertrays were pretty trashed so I fitted some good used ones with new hardware

I've now run out of things to do in the engine bay so its nearly time to put the engine in I'd say 'back in', but this engine and gearbox haven't been in this car before
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	398.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	25510   Click image for larger version

Name:	399.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	25511   Click image for larger version

Name:	400.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	25512   Click image for larger version

Name:	401.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	25513   Click image for larger version

Name:	402.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	25514   Click image for larger version

Name:	403.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	25515   Click image for larger version

Name:	404.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	25516   Click image for larger version

Name:	405.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	25517   Click image for larger version

Name:	406.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	25518  
Old 10th February 2021, 08:11 AM

Just as a reference for the fuel filter here's mine I cut up in 2015 at around 100k miles and it was dated 03.04.2002
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuel filter 009.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	25520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel filter 010.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	25521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel filter 011.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	25522  
Old 10th February 2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Just as a reference for the fuel filter here's mine I cut up in 2015 at around 100k miles and it was dated 03.04.2002
Be interesting to see what mine looks like, as I've been running on LPG since about 56k miles, although it does use a little petrol for the first few minutes on a cold start.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th February 2021, 08:20 PM

Last few bits in the engine bay before I put the drivetrain in - I'm aiming for that to happen on Saturday.

I printed a grommet for the AC lines. This one is a bit gnarly since my lines don't quite sit the same as Gareth's which is what this grommet was designed on, but it fills the hole for now. I'll refine this to be more like the factory part when I have more time.

The hvac inlet is all back together with new foam and new screws

Next is an issue which has been a bit of a challenge. This is one of the brackets for the airbox, and as you can see the weld has cracked (captain carnage replaced the rubber bushings which live on this bracket). Now it could of course be tig welded, but the nature of tig and aluminium means a lot of paint would end up getting burned off, and I really don't want to get in to respraying bits of the engine bay. So, what to do...

After much research and reading of technical data sheets, enter Permabond TA4207 2-part acrylic structural adhesive. This is methyl methacrylate based which gets incredibly strong bonds on metals, and this particular product has been specifically designed to bond unprepared aluminium as it can etch through the aluminium oxide layer to attach itself to the pure aluminium underneath. Thats good because obviously I can't exactly sandblast the inside of this crack!

The bond strength of this stuff on bare aluminium is such that in this 10x5mm crack it should achieve a shear strength of 130Kg! Thats plenty to hold the airbox in place Its also fuel, oil and temperature resistant.

Adhesive mixed and squidged in to and around the crack

Fitted a new starter junction box, bedded down on waxoyl as it's pretty crusty round here.

Tomorrow the engine goes back on the subframe and gets its wiring harness, plumbing etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	407.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	25526   Click image for larger version

Name:	408.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	25527   Click image for larger version

Name:	409.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	25528   Click image for larger version

Name:	410.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	25529   Click image for larger version

Name:	411.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	25530   Click image for larger version

Name:	412.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	25531  
Old 11th February 2021, 01:17 PM

@MJ, Where's the best place to get Permabond? eBay and Amazon seem to have lots of variants. Seems like a good product to have in the tool box.

How does it compare to JB Weld?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder