A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th February 2021, 10:26 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Psychological problems in lockdown

Nothing to do with the lockdown itself, but I’m getting withdrawal symptoms after no WITW posts fo a couple of days. I know that even Michaela is entitled to a day off, but I do miss those posts.

I’m re- reading the thread on Vera’s car to compensate.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th February 2021, 10:56 AM

There's not going to be anything more on the murple because I reached breaking point the other day. If I put another tool near it it will end up shredded and going for scrap. It would take 2 days to dismantle and dispose of it, or probably another 2 months to make it work. That point arrived with the horrible realisation that it would have taken less effort to resurrect my Avus FE than I'd spent so far on the murple. Certain people are keen that I don't kill it, so its getting pushed out the back and ignored for a bit while I make a decision.

General Vod is back at the weekend for some upgrades though so normal service will be resumed shortly.
Old 18th February 2021, 11:09 AM

The final straw - the propshaft CV boot is split. Can't buy these in the UK so that meant a replacement prop was needed. Removing the prop led to the discovery that both rear calipers are dragging due to split piston seals. At that point I downed tools and came home.

I wrote off both my FEs as 'beyond economic salvation', and they were both in a better state than this one. Lesson learned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cvboot.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	25573  
Old 18th February 2021, 01:39 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Oh no! I feel for you, I really do. I think every single one of us would have given up long ago. Take a break (and a stiff drink) - there’s plenty for us to read in the archives.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th February 2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The final straw - the propshaft CV boot is split. Can't buy these in the UK so that meant a replacement prop was needed. Removing the prop led to the discovery that both rear calipers are dragging due to split piston seals. At that point I downed tools and came home.

I think propshafts are the same PF and FL.
Boot was split on my PF, I discovered it when changing gearbox output flange seal in 2012. It looked like it's been split for a while and CV joint had been running dry and overheating and had burned on propshaft so it broke trying to get it off. It was made by GKN LOBRO, 100mm outer diameter, 32 mm wide and with 25 splines. They are used on several older cars mostly as inner driveshaft joints. GKN part number 21561 for CV joint, other cheap aftermarket versions are available, propshaft is rotating faster than driveshafts but lower angles so you need different boot that does not disintegrate at high speeds and high cetrifugal forces but fast boots are also available.

Boot: https://race.parts/Catalogue/Drivetr...ode-Fast-Boots
CV joint: https://race.parts/Catalogue/Drivetr...ndard-CV-Joint

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 18th February 2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old 18th February 2021, 04:04 PM

Well found thank you
Old 18th February 2021, 09:25 PM

This car has really been kicking your ass MJ!

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that this is a "small" blip in the proceedings and the Murple will see the road at some point this year....everyone loves a success story

The Laird and I have at least one thing in common - reading the old WITW threads

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Last edited by RICKY D; 18th February 2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 18th February 2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Oh no! I feel for you, I really do. I think every single one of us would have given up long ago. Take a break (and a stiff drink) - there’s plenty for us to read in the archives.
I fully concur with what Jim said. I think your attention to detail and fastidious nature has kept a lot of us sane during this past year when we've had little else to keep us going. Rest and regroup.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 21st February 2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:

I wrote off both my FEs as 'beyond economic salvation', and they were both in a better state than this one. Lesson learned.
If it makes you feel better, I'm struggling just as hard with our corrado. If it were my car, it would have been a parts car. But it's my wife's car, so I don't really have that option.

I spent most of last year working on it.
  • Engine Swap to a later coilpack engine
  • Complete engine rebuild
  • Resealed transmission and new axles
  • Rebuilt the front light harness
  • Replaced the entire ABS harness
  • Made a radio harness to to replace the factory Aktiv harness
  • Made fog light harnesses
  • Fixed broken parts and re-glued leather on all 4 interior panels
  • Replaced a broken heater box
  • Fixed a broken sunroof
  • Replaced control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, ball joints
  • Replaced the steering rack and tie rods
  • Brakes on all 4 corners

I've put 100 miles on the car so far. And I'm about to pull the head back off the engine next weekend to put another head on it that hopefully isn't junk like the one on it. Despite that it's a "rebuilt" head.
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 28th February 2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
There's not going to be anything more on the murple because I reached breaking point the other day. If I put another tool near it it will end up shredded and going for scrap. It would take 2 days to dismantle and dispose of it, or probably another 2 months to make it work. That point arrived with the horrible realisation that it would have taken less effort to resurrect my Avus FE than I'd spent so far on the murple. Certain people are keen that I don't kill it, so its getting pushed out the back and ignored for a bit while I make a decision.

General Vod is back at the weekend for some upgrades though so normal service will be resumed shortly.
Oh wow, sorry to hear about this. It sounds like this car was poorly neglected and poorly serviced.

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.