A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Body and Exterior

D4 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 14th December 2019, 09:38 AM

Default External mirror

A couple of weeks back I had the misfortune of meeting a rather strange cyclist. I'll not bore you with the details or even a photo of this insane person.
His parting shot before jumping on his bike and pedalling off down the canal towpath where I could not follow was a swift kick at my offside (driver side) mirror. This resulted in the mirror dangling on its wires and needing a Sellotape repair to make it short term useful.
Visited Warrington Audi and stores quoted £489.32 for the mechanical inner and mounting. Luckily the outer shells were not marked and the mirror glass was also good. Problem, not available in UK. Stores reckoned a week for delivery from Germany but they let me know it arrived in three days, result.
Yesterday at 07:30 I walked into the showroom, handed in my keys and made myself at home with their kettle and biscuit jar.
At 11:00 I started to wonder what was happening. My car had been in two workshop bays and had been valeted. I had received my visual check video that was good but reported that the driver's door mirror needed replacement urgently??? Duh, that's what it was in for. They even reported that I was in luck because they had the required part in stock, I'd ordered that (see above).
I went to speak with the service advisor because the video asked me if I wanted them to go ahead with the repair. I told her that that is what it was booked in for and that the £60 Diagnostic that they had run was completely unnecessary. The Service Manager spoke up and told her to negate the Diagnostic Charge because he knew that I was capable of running my own, nice when these people remember you.
At 12:00 the job allotment chap came up and explained that the mirror had taken 30 minutes to swap BUT, now we start the SHARKS Music, it needed calibrating. Nobody there had done it before and there top super-duper Audi Master Tech was reading the books. Eventually my car reappeared in the workshop but now in the Master Tech’s bay. We are not allowed into the workshop area at Warrington but having friends in high places The top manager came to make me a coffee and his secretary (sorry PA) took me to the management secret workshop viewing window to see what was happening (after that the workshop fitters kept smiling at me, made me feel important). Master Tech had his laptop plugged into the car, what looked like a giant domino lying alongside, and a smaller domino stood up near the rear offside wheel. Remember the setting up reverse camera template? Something like that.
14:00 they told me car ready, and it was superb. Clean, tidy and a working mirror. Job done.
At this point I had to pay the bill. My service advisor would not let me see the bottom line because it was rather expensive, her words. She took her time explaining the video report figures, i.e. brake and tyre wear. Then she moved her hand and allowed me to see the final figure.
Shock horror!
Total cost £587.18. (£489.32 plus £97.86 vat).
This meant cost of fitting and calibration with six and a half hours in the workshop including a superb valet was nothing.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 14th December 2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Shock horror!
Total cost £587.18. (£489.32 plus £97.86 vat).
This meant cost of fitting and calibration with six and a half hours in the workshop including a superb valet was nothing.
A great outcome in the end, but somewhat worrying when the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing. Even more worrying is this is on a 2014 car, and no one seems to know how to fix them.

One curious question though. All this was for a side mirror. Why then does it need to be calibrated? Apart from being heated, auto-dimming, movable and foldable, what other magic does it possess that requires calibrating?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th December 2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
A great outcome in the end, but somewhat worrying when the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing. Even more worrying is this is on a 2014 car, and no one seems to know how to fix them.

One curious question though. All this was for a side mirror. Why then does it need to be calibrated? Apart from being heated, auto-dimming, movable and foldable, what other magic does it possess that requires calibrating?
A camera I'd guess?

Good service in the end
Old 14th December 2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
A camera I'd guess?
Ah, would that be for the 360 view?

EDIT: It's just clicked what Ray was talking about and the dominoes!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Last edited by steamship; 14th December 2019 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Dominoes!
Old 14th December 2019, 03:36 PM

I waited,
I knew that you would get there,
So I waited some more.

Camera 360 view
Lane Assist
Side Assist
All clever stuff.
To be honest I had not thought about it at all. I blissfully thought that it would be just swap the mirror and away we go.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 14th December 2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I waited,
I knew that you would get there,
So I waited some more.

Camera 360 view
Lane Assist
Side Assist
All clever stuff.
To be honest I had not thought about it at all. I blissfully thought that it would be just swap the mirror and away we go.
Should have remembered the Side Assist, as I had that on the S8.

Mirrors aren't what they used to be! It's all white lab coats and computers, no more oily rags and monkey wrenches.

Old 14th December 2019, 06:50 PM

No sensors for the lane assist or side assist in the mirror, lane assist is a camera in the windscreen and side assist sensors are in the rear bumper (but there are LED's in the mirror housing for this obviously).....

All of the fettling would of been to get the 360 picture to line up
Old 14th December 2019, 06:52 PM

PS I hope you have shared the picture of said cyclist somewhere..... doesn't sound like a nice person!
Old 14th December 2019, 07:35 PM

I have it all on video.
But police are not interested.

Old 14th December 2019, 07:47 PM

Sign on the times and their resource levels I guess.

Three days after I bought my current Q7 my youngest (6 weeks old at the time) was taken into Wigan hospital in a bad way.

A few days later he was on the mend, I had a disagreement with a lady in the car park about a space which she believed she had reserved, I was honestly happy for her to take it (inspire off her car being "round the corner") right up until she told me she was staff, as it was clearly signed as patients and visitors only. So I left my car in the space and went to see the boy.

CCTV showed her sit in her car for 20 mins plucking her eyebrows (high res pics!), before parking on another double yellow, and then keying the back of my car to the metal.

She was staff, she isn't any more. Police did interview her and on seeing the cctv she copped the lot, I was supposed to get the money for the repairs but never heard another thing, seemed pretty chasing the police given what they have to deal with daily.....

Some people need help!