A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 9th January 2020, 03:29 PM

Default Sluggish Manifold Flaps Guide

In the D2 repair sticky, there is a link to a writeup on the quattroworld forum about sluggish or stuck manifold flaps. This is the link below:

40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots (no broken parts)

Unfortunately, that site is no longer available, and I was wondering if anyone ever saved the details, including the photos. I've used the Internet Archive and can get the text, but none of the photos are there.

EDIT: I just did some more searching, and it appears the site is still available. It is just this one specific post that has been deleted. Still on the hunt for photos.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 9th January 2020 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Site availability
Old 11th January 2020, 12:50 AM

just found these nuggets, care of the trusty WaybackMachine (no photos though):

40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots ( w/no broken parts )...
Posted by: silverd2 (9538) on 2011-03-06 16:52:20
In Reply to: Engine Mechanical posted by PaulW on 2009-12-01 14:38:37

Share | Report
A common problem that disables an otherwise very effective torque curve extender.

Here's how it's supposed to work:

vv- The results -vv
You can see what would happen to engine torque if any stage was not working...well worth the trouble to get it freed up and working.

With engine off, the actuators should look like this. Both levers held against stops by springs...vacuum pods inflated. Should go to this immediately (not slowly) when engine is switched off. If not, they are seized or too sluggish.

When engine is started, they should go immediately (not slowly) to this. Both vacuum pods evacuated and both levers pulled away from stops fully, against spring tension. If not, your intake manifold changeover is not operating properly and you're missing out on the full effect of a really cool system...losing torque in some part of the rpm range.

Bentley has nothing on this, because Audi says the system cannot be repaired and the entire manifold needs to be replaced...not so.

Before you start, take photos or make notes about vacuum connections/routing. Also, if I need to to tell you individual tools, sizes and micro details for each step (except as noted/shown), you don't need to be tackling this job. It's not terribly difficult but includes a couple of "delicate" steps and a little "feel" required for things you can't see without taking the manifold apart (NOT necessary).
"Greg's" post (see link at bottom of page) in the FAQ Digest has photos of the manifold's interior, to help visualize how the other end of the "flap rods" fit into the pivots on the far end of the manifold. You'll have to feed them back into these when reassembling...it's blind, but very possible...I've done it a few times. You can actually see the top pivot hole back inside the manifold, looking in with a flashlight, while the upper flap rod is out of that pivot, but it is a blind fit when it comes time for reassembly.

First remove top vacuum pod and ball joint link...can pry ball joint off manifold actuating level with a wide flat screwdriver.

Disconnect elec connection to bottom left actuator valve and unbolt (one) from manifold.

Remove valve with hoses attached.

After disconnecting upper right actuator valve and removing with hoses attached, remove lower vacuum pod with ball joint link.

Time to take the plastic lever off the top pivot..center allen bolt. I recommend completely repairing the upper one, before disassembling the lower one. I found that the internal flaps can interfere with each other when both are free at the same time. Lower stays out of the way of the upper if left under spring tension.

Take note, before removing aluminum pivot casing (2 torx bolts), that the smaller triangle stop (next to upper torx bolt) needs to be at top...must reassemble this way...same on upper and lower pivots.

Pull casing out just far enough to get something behind it...there's enough play on the other end (inside manifold) to start "tapping" it out. At this point, of course, if you have the proper gear puller (I don't...used what I had), you could carefully press/pull outer pivot casing off plastic spindle end.

The first few mm's are the toughest..helps to put lever back on and rotate a little a few times. The right gear puller would indeed be ideal for this, but....

I went with progressively thicker back-stops (see crescent wrench), to assure rear clearance to continue driving the casing off the spindle. Be patient and GENTLE!! If it's seized or very sluggish, it's gonna be tough to tap off...baby steps...you DON'T wanna break it!!

There's your problem part...corrosion/build up/schmutz on the inside of the outer race casing.
Notice the plastic spindle in the manifold (end of internal "flap rod") is out as far as it will go...out of the hidden inside pivot hole on other end of the manifold.
I carefully cleaned the plastic spindle with a plastic brush wheel on a Dremel...not much build up there...just clean it.

Notice the tiny lip seal inside casing...rides on raised inner lip at base of plastic spindle end. Be very careful not to damage this or outer o-ring to assure no vacuum leaks.

I found cleaning alone was NOT enough in the outer aluminum pivot casing. I used a soft (carbon steel) wire wheel on a Dremel, being careful NOT to damage the little lip seal. Do a little at a time and test fit it on the plastic spindle...snug, but easy turning on the spindle is as far as you want to go. I used the wire brush just to the point of getting a shine and it was a perfect fit.

I coated the spindle end and inside of outer pivot race with a thin coat of silicone grease. Reassemble by fishing "flap rod" back into rear pivot, put outer casing on spindle, torx bolts back in (taking care that small triangle stop is up).
Photo shows levers test fitted correctly with flaps free to fall into place under gravity.
Notice that the lower lever will be harder to tension spring far enough to fit casing onto spindle correctly.
Note reminder: You may have to assemble lower pivot/lever (including spring in place) before fishing upper "flap rod" into rear hole. If the lower flap rod is out of inner pivot and/or out of spring loaded position, it "can" interfere with upper flap rod fitting into place.

With spring on lever, fit end of spring into lower slot (out of view).

Not easy, but turn lever clockwise back against spring to this position so that lever engages spindle at it's proper "rest" point. Push on and replace allen bolt.

Upper lever is much easier to fit. Spring in slot, then turn clockwise just past lower triangle stop and it should slide onto spindle there. Push on and bolt.

Replace lower right vacuum pod and press ball joint link back together.

Replace upper right actuator valve w/hoses and elec plug.

Replace lower left actuator valve w/hoses and elec plug. Then replace upper left vacuum pod and press ball joint link back together.

Make sure all your hoses are routed and back on correctly (and snug)...elec plugs on valves, too.

Put your engine cover back on.

Start it up and take a drive...don't forget to close the hood

Take it up to redline a few times and see what ya think.
http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/22072.phtml
Old 11th January 2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
just found these nuggets, care of the trusty WaybackMachine (no photos though):
Thanks, but as I did state in my original post, I already have the text, obtained the same way.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 11th January 2020, 05:34 PM

I may have the original drawings saved as a pdf but would need some time to search
James did the flap fix on my D2 many years ago after me and Reffro compared flaps at the first AITPand mine were sticking - I can remember copying the whole thing onto PDF and sending him a copy

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th January 2020, 08:34 PM

Steamship, I got all excited and didn't twig about the Internet Archive as I've always known it as the Wayback Machine. Still, useful info to include in the post for future searches. Let's hope Architex-mA8tey can find that elusive PDF with photos.

I'll admit to having a vested interest here due to my recent cam cover gaskets problem. These are now sorted at the second attempt and whilst the vanity covers were off the engine, I took a look at those bellows and noted that the top one on mine seemed to have some kind of repair effected on it (it looks like someone has had a go at this before and smeared some black silicone sealant on the outside casing).

My bellows seem to be inflated all the time but when the engine is running, they suck in gently but only by a few millimetres. I can pinch one of the attached rubber hoses to see the slight movement. It's definitely not working as intended so I'd like to attempt this repair.
Old 11th January 2020, 08:48 PM

Can you move the arms by hand? Often the braided vacuum hoses perish and you lose the vacuum which drives this system, so the pods and arms may be fine but there's nothing to make them move.
Old 11th January 2020, 09:01 PM

I have the Audiworld pages for this repair complete with colour piccies. Its 16 pages long and Ill need to scan it to pdf.

It'll cost you Sean
Old 11th January 2020, 09:33 PM

Here you are.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D2 Manifold Flaps001.pdf (5.20 MB, 564 views)
Old 12th January 2020, 03:20 AM

Silverd2 (Sam) has posted this on Audiworld and Quattroworld.
Edit: he posted it on QW and linked to it on AW.
For some reason it's been deleted from QW. Don't know why, but he appears to have left the building (on both forums).
I'm glad someone saved it and for the wayback machine...

And I think Gruven copied the whole thing onto their site too as a DIY.
Edit: link here to Gruven DIY (copied from QW) as a pdf

It's all out there somewhere.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 12th January 2020 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12th January 2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
Steamship, I got all excited and didn't twig about the Internet Archive as I've always known it as the Wayback Machine.
No problem, I always knew it as the Wayback Machine as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Can you move the arms by hand? Often the braided vacuum hoses perish and you lose the vacuum which drives this system, so the pods and arms may be fine but there's nothing to make them move.
They move by hand, the pods are intact and the vacuum hoses were all replaced a couple of years ago. I was searching for something on the forum and came across an old post of mine, where I mention that they seem to work fine (after filming them), but when you give some throttle, one of them is slower that t'other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Here you are.
Fantastic! I owe you one, or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Silverd2 (Sam) has posted this on Audiworld and Quattroworld.
Edit: he posted it on QW and linked to it on AW.
For some reason it's been deleted from QW. Don't know why, but he appears to have left the building (on both forums).
I'm glad someone saved it and for the wayback machine...

It's all out there somewhere.
It was from AW that I first came across it, and when the link didn't work, that's why I thought that the QW site had gone.

As ever, thanks to everyone.