A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 4th April 2022, 07:23 PM

Default Lowering FL A8L

Hello so i am loopings to loger my a8l and mount some b7 rs4 wheels. The wheels are 20x9 et 29 and I plan on running 265 40 20 since my previous 255 35 20 were a bit skinny. I measured my tyre to fender vertical clearance and got 69mm in front and 45mm in the rear, with my 245 40 18 Avus 3 winter setup and mounting 265 40 20 will bring that 33mm closer. So that the rear will have 12mm clearance and front will have 36mm of clearance but I would like to even that out. The car looks kind of strange lower in the rear and I prefer a more even look but slightly lower in front is acceptable I’m looking at buying a set of eibach -25mm springs and not using the rears. But I also read that the s8 and a8 sport is 20mm lower so maybe those springs could be used? I assume I would need facelift springs? I’m not 100% sure why the car is so much lower in rear but it could be my 2x12 inch subwoofer setup in the trunk measurements were taken with almost full tank and no people in the car. My driver side front also seems a bit lower than the passenger side but I don’t know why. All measurement were taken on the passenger side. LHD btw. Any input is appreciated.
D2 A8L 4.2 AQF 4.2 LZ9W Ebony Black Pearl Fully electric rear seats 20x9.5 OEM peelers D3 s8 front brakes s8 mirror housings 18x8 Avus 3 winter wheels PDC rear blinds Nav Electric steering wheel adjustment rs6 MFSW heated with shift buttons TPMS Leather pack 1 with retrofitted stitched leather lower dash panels folding auto dimming mirrors solar sunroof cold weather package CD changer 2x12 subwoofers double glazing all around memory seats passenger seat adjustment from rear seat Bose servotronic xenon plus headlights

C5 Allroad 4.2 BAS 4.2 LZ6G Irish Green Metallic Bose RNS-E Rear Blinds folding auto dimming mirrors Heated MFSW with shift buttons PDC Recaros heated seats all around CD changer Nav

B5 A4 STCC Edition AJL 1.8T Quattro Built engine GT28RS maxxecu Remote locking Trip computer Sport seats Eibach/Bilstein suspension Flexfuel

C5 A6 1.8T Quattro AWT 1.8T Reliable, unlike the others

Previous Audis B7 S4 Avant B5 A4 Avant 1.8T B8 A5 SB 3.0tdi C5 A6 1.8T C5 Allroad 2.5 TDI
Old 4th April 2022, 10:17 PM

I think you'll have clearance issues with 265 40 20. Thats almost 5% larger than stock, which works fine on an 18" wheel with 245s, but 265 on a 9" wheel is going to be tight anyway especially if you lower it. I'd suggest maybe buying a part-worn or scrap tyre in 265 40 and trying it, before spending big bucks on a set of four. 265 35 20 fits ok though.

The Eibach springs lower to about the same as a stock S8 or A8 sport so you might as well just stick some A8 4.2 Sport springs on the front. The rears do tend to settle more than the front. S8 springs on the back would probably lift it up a little if the stock ones have sagged or snapped. Yes, you'd need FL springs. The PF are slightly different lengths and weights.
Old 4th April 2022, 10:46 PM

Thanks MJ i found this thread you made http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...598#post138598 does this mean a a8 with standard shocks and sports spring would sit lower than if it had the sport shocks as well? Or does it just sit lower if you use sports shocks with non sport spring perch? I might lower the front and then test with my current 255 35 20 to see how it looks when lowered, they will be going on the allroad when I get the new tyres for the rs4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I think you'll have clearance issues with 265 40 20. Thats almost 5% larger than stock, which works fine on an 18" wheel with 245s, but 265 on a 9" wheel is going to be tight anyway especially if you lower it. I'd suggest maybe buying a part-worn or scrap tyre in 265 40 and trying it, before spending big bucks on a set of four. 265 35 20 fits ok though.

The Eibach springs lower to about the same as a stock S8 or A8 sport so you might as well just stick some A8 4.2 Sport springs on the front. The rears do tend to settle more than the front. S8 springs on the back would probably lift it up a little if the stock ones have sagged or snapped. Yes, you'd need FL springs. The PF are slightly different lengths and weights.
D2 A8L 4.2 AQF 4.2 LZ9W Ebony Black Pearl Fully electric rear seats 20x9.5 OEM peelers D3 s8 front brakes s8 mirror housings 18x8 Avus 3 winter wheels PDC rear blinds Nav Electric steering wheel adjustment rs6 MFSW heated with shift buttons TPMS Leather pack 1 with retrofitted stitched leather lower dash panels folding auto dimming mirrors solar sunroof cold weather package CD changer 2x12 subwoofers double glazing all around memory seats passenger seat adjustment from rear seat Bose servotronic xenon plus headlights

C5 Allroad 4.2 BAS 4.2 LZ6G Irish Green Metallic Bose RNS-E Rear Blinds folding auto dimming mirrors Heated MFSW with shift buttons PDC Recaros heated seats all around CD changer Nav

B5 A4 STCC Edition AJL 1.8T Quattro Built engine GT28RS maxxecu Remote locking Trip computer Sport seats Eibach/Bilstein suspension Flexfuel

Previous Audis B7 S4 Avant B5 A4 Avant 1.8T B8 A5 SB 3.0tdi C5 A6 1.8T C5 Allroad 2.5 TDI
Old 5th April 2022, 07:27 AM

No, the sports shocks have the spring mounting about 25-30mm lower than the standard ones. With the stock platforms per that thread, the sports springs end up about 20mm lower than standard, although subsequently I've found a mix of both platforms across various models so its not quite as clear cut as I thought.
Old 5th April 2022, 07:43 AM

Ok great, thanks. Looks like i can’t find a set of facelift sport springs so i Will probably be buying the eibachs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
No, the sports shocks have the spring mounting about 25-30mm lower than the standard ones. With the stock platforms per that thread, the sports springs end up about 20mm lower than standard, although subsequently I've found a mix of both platforms across various models so its not quite as clear cut as I thought.

Last edited by Fredde; 5th April 2022 at 08:52 AM.