A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 17th April 2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
A somewhat appropriate reference in the current climate with all the toilet roll hoarders!
The 3 seashells would stop all that

Anyway, will never tire of that movie. Absolutely love it.

Cocteau: "be well" Spartan: "Be f****d"

Don't make 'em like that anymore...

Just slightly off-topic lol
Old 5th May 2020, 11:39 AM

Just a quickie, can someone point me in the direction of the correct cam cover gaskets for my 2.8 Quattro please?

Found a garage that's open for key workers, hooray! I'm pretty sure the oil leak is this, as MJ pointed out and I want to ready myself for the normal island reaction of 'can't get the parts mate'! Plus they can replace the brake fluid while it's in there. I'm assuming it's Dot 4?

Thanks all, not easy getting stuff done at the best if times here!

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 5th May 2020, 12:30 PM

Two of 078198025. Its used on loads of models so should be readily available from the usual suspects - Elring, Reinz, Febi, etc.

The brake fluid change is non-trivial on a D2 because of the ESP system. You have to cycle the ABS pump (with VCDS) in order to get it to flush properly and you absolutely must not let the master cylinder run dry otherwise all manner of pain ensues. You need a pressure bleeding system which can run at 2 bar to push the fluid through such as the Sealey VS820:

A vacuum bleeding tool will not work as it can't pull the fluid through.

If the garage has one of these tools and an OBDII diagnostic machine then they should be able to do it. If not, I'd be inclined to wait until you can get over to Devon. The fluid is not in good condition, but I doubt a couple more months will be an issue.
Old 6th May 2020, 04:51 PM

Thanks MJ, that's awesome, thank you.

I've made a note and it's going in tomorrow. I have used them before and I think they are grateful for the work!

As far as I can tell they are the only one open here!

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 21st May 2020, 11:48 AM

By way of an update and thanks to MJ's wisdom, the brake fluid has been successfully changed, yay!

The oil leak turned out to be the cam cover in the end so that will be a job for the next cambelt change should the car make it to that as it will be looking for a new home soon and hopefully we can find it one. It's too good for me to nick the fog light grills for my S8 and scrap the rest!

I hope you are all staying well in what's turning into a rather strange time down here??