A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 17th March 2012, 07:57 AM
Banned

Default can some one please help me with a squeak ?

I have a loud squeak from the passenger side of the car it seems to be prominent when turning right hand corners at low speeds when i turn left there is no noise, could it be a dry top mount of some thing ? im not very good with the D3 as i have only had it just over a week, but the car is so quiet that you can hear it instantly and its a pain in the ass because the car is so quiet apart from that ? not very familiar with the air ride

any help would be great
Old 17th March 2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
I have a loud squeak from the passenger side of the car it seems to be prominent when turning right hand corners at low speeds when i turn left there is no noise, could it be a dry top mount of some thing ? im not very good with the D3 as i have only had it just over a week, but the car is so quiet that you can hear it instantly and its a pain in the ass because the car is so quiet apart from that ? not very familiar with the air ride

any help would be great
sounds like it might be one of the front suspension joints Guy yes, unless its your missus squealing in fright at the the speed of the new car

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 17th March 2012, 08:09 AM

Bottom balljoints would be the first thing to check, although it could be any one of the many joints these vehicles have

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 17th March 2012, 08:11 AM
Director at A8 Parts

I would agree - I had the same problem, squeeking from the front end at low speed either turning or going over speed bumps etc - I replaced all my suspension arms and to my surprise one of the rubber bushes had completely detached itself from the arm and the aluminium of the arm was rubbing on the mounting point - the arm was a good deal skinnier than it should have been ! Needless to say the squeeks went away and it felt a lot tighter. The W12 is a heavy beast so I guess its going to chew through suspension bits quicker than the rest.

2001 TT 8N 1.8T Quattro with a loud exhaust!
2000 A8 D2 3.7Q Non Sport Ming Blue
1999 A8 D2 4.2Q Non Sport Santorin Blue
2002 A6 C5 Allroad 2.5 TDi Silver with Black Leather
2001 A2 1.4 TDi
2006 A6 C6 2.4 Quattro Avant Canyon Red

At Work to Drive:

1997 S8 Pearl White Solar Roof, Electric Heated Rear Seats, Blinds, Bose, Cruise, Headlamp Wash, Ski Hatch
1998 Audi Cabriolet 2.6, Air Con, Electric Roof, Leather, Hard Top, Headlight Wash
2008 Fiesta Sportvan x2
2002 Transit 2.4 LWB
2007 VW Crafter Recovery Truck
2013 VW Caddy Highline, DAB, Heated Seats, Touch Screen Stereo, Headlamp Wash and Webasto with Telestart
2010 RS6 Daytona Grey, Twin Pane, Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Soft Close and some extra horses.

At Work to Hire:

4x 6 Berth Sunlight Motorhomes
Old 17th March 2012, 09:57 AM

Did the car come with any Warranty when you bought it Guy? might be worth trying to get the suspension covered by that if it did ?

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 17th March 2012, 06:47 PM
Banned

yes i have a 6 month warranty with the car and in fact it is going in to Unit 20 on monday morning for a new drive shaft oil seal and a power steering banjo bolt, all payed for under warranty of course,
just being fussy that there was a little bit of oil around the driverside drive shaft where it enters the diff so better safe than sorry, any fluids leaking of any magnitude are a No no in my book
while its there i will get them to have a look at the squeak for me and see if they can find anything,
its only there when the car is warm witch is strange when its cold first thing in the morning there is nothing at all its quiet ?
Old 17th March 2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
its only there when the car is warm witch is strange when its cold first thing in the morning there is nothing at all its quiet ?
That's quite typical of suspension bushes to do that

Old 17th March 2012, 06:56 PM
Banned

Ah i see, so would that be just a standard joint then or would that be top mount or what ?
Old 19th March 2012, 08:21 PM

Just an update, Guy came over to mine on the way to Unit 20 today and we found the source of the squeak - split gaiter on the N/S track rod end and the joint is knackered. We filled with grease and all is quiet but Guy will be replacing it when he can.

Managed to get his cruise working, somehow his engine controller had had the cruise coded out (Coding II) but having checked the label file in VAGCOM we found the relevant coding.

We had a great afternoon with Martin (grizz) whilst he sorted Guy's car and we made a 'discovery' about his car - I'll not spoil his thunder but you'll be surprised, and probably jealous, at his news
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 19th March 2012, 08:33 PM

Guy mentioned something about exhaust valves so not knowing if W12 have them as stock my guess is that he has S8 active exhaust with valves + remap + possibly some other power enhancements .

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure