A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 29th July 2016, 05:22 PM

Default Best car for cheap high mileage commute

Hi All,

I would like to hear your experiences or the experiences of people you know re the best cars for high mileage, low cost work.

There are urban myths about some prestige brands but I want to avoid cars where owners cherish them and are willing to drop loads of dosh to keep running / like the car was when new (i.e. Like our A8s!) .

Thing is I am considering a job offer in Nottingham, 120 mile round trip so 600 miles a week. This is a LOT for me and ain't going to run the legs off of my baby...

My plan so far (such as it is) is an already gassed up 4 cylinder Nissan Primera / Toyota Avensis or similar "bore-mobile" , everyday quality but nill image or sentiment.

But what real examples do YOU know of, the 200,000 miles + motors you've come across?

I really will be grateful for your thoughts as the job pays only "OK" money and the costs of commute could swing it for me.

Thanks!

Robert
Old 29th July 2016, 05:32 PM

A8 Tdi

Sold my 4.2tdi at ~180K and still going strong with another forum owner, depreciation wasn't that bad and running costs were routine servicing (done myself) + a couple of glitches attended to at an inde.
Old 29th July 2016, 07:36 PM

Something like a Honda Accord 2.2 cdti saloon or estate
I had 2 in succession and they drive well with good pull, did about 50-60 mpg and were gentle on tyres and critically never put a foot wrong once.
Also pretty well spec-ed for the type of car they are.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 29th July 2016, 07:45 PM

Default Thanks so far

Any more out there?

Trying to get a feel for it, all mentions so far are Japanese (A8 is not feasible imho).

Robert
Old 29th July 2016, 08:11 PM

What's wrong with the 8, yours is already on LPG so fuel costs should be reasonable. Doing 120 miles a day I would want something comfortable and quite. Accord is not a bad car, my friend has 2.2 diesel estate but it's a bit noisy inside.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 29th July 2016, 08:28 PM

Make sure you have a look at something in the Skoda Octavia or Superb range, we have run a diesel Superb 4x4 estate for the last 30 months and 90000 miles and it still feels and drives like the day it was new. The quality reminds me of previous BMW company cars.
Old 29th July 2016, 08:58 PM

You should consider an early D3 3.0TDI, I bought one with 60K miles on it in 2010 and changed it at 260K last year for a D4. In that time, it did a consistent 40mpg and other than 1 wheel bearing and 2 parking break motors, just routine servicing.
With a commute like that, an Avensis or such is just an awful place to spend 2+ hrs per day in my opinion.
Old 29th July 2016, 09:50 PM

I agree about using your own car, you can't take it with you and no offence, a 3.7 on LPG won't set the typical cherished classic market alight in years to come, so I'd just do that, it's a great place to whittle away the hours.

If you do a cost comparison, additional fuel on the 8 vs Buying a car, tax, mot, insurance, etc and see where it all falls.

The other thing is, the 8 is the devil you know, how risky would it be to start a new job and have the new car leave you on the side of the road because a previous owner skimped on something?
Old 30th July 2016, 12:32 AM

My A6 avant C5 model is now on 220k and still runs great. Dirt cheap to run. It's the 1.9Tdi. I put the mileage on it with a daily round trip of 100 miles over many years.
My mate did the same journey in another A6 C5 2.5Tdi and sold it with 265k. He wishes he hadn't!
We both got about 600 miles to a tank with his six speed box versus my smaller engine and 5 speed.
Certainly a few tired examples for sale but you might pick up a decent run out model from around 2005.
Hope this helps.
Old 30th July 2016, 06:22 AM

i think this is all down to ..
1. budget
2. car size

reliability / economy

1.9 tdi anything

skoda fabia vRS for a small car
skoda superb for the large car

but any vag vehicle with the 1.9 tdi engine

or this.. 1.4 tdi £30 a year road tax, this is round the corner from me, been for sale a few weeks, i would make a cheeky offer.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401138449922

Last edited by roberto; 30th July 2016 at 06:29 AM.