A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st September 2016, 02:46 AM

Default right rear metal to metal rattle sound

I have a rattle in the the right rear of my 2002 A8L everything passes visual inspection. I literally removed everything from trunk including spare tire, removed the rear bumper. I have changed out rear brakes and have eliminated loose brakes because I still have a metal to metal rattle sound with the parking brake dragging while I drive car over bumps. I removed the shock absorber and the noise was almost gone so I replaced with a known good one, same metal to metal rattle. Now the crazy thing is that I just bought a 2003 A8L with same noise! So I will tell you that I Have owned 2 97 A8s, a 98 A8, 2 2000 A8s, 2000 A8L, 2001 S8 and my current 2002 and 2003 A8Ls. Yes that is 8 D2s in the last 7 years. My best friend loves my A8L so much he bought a 2002 and his nephew bought a 2001 S8. So I have been wrenching on 10 D2s. I have never had this noise except these two cars. I need to solve this problem so I can sell my 2002 and put the smile back into driving my A8L. I don't have the special spring compressor or I would have removed the spring for a better inspection.
Any Ideas?
Old 1st September 2016, 06:35 AM

It could be the exhaust perhaps? Or more likely a splash guard (if that's the right name) on the brakes. They can easily be bent when fitting new brakes and will touch something.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 1st September 2016, 07:18 AM

Or it could be stone stuck somewhere above or inside subframe

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st September 2016, 07:33 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Sounds exactly like a rattle I had a few years ago.

Took ages to find what it was. Sounded like the exhaust or a loose heat deflector underneath the car.

Mine turned out to be incorrectly fitted rear pads. I believe the clip that holds them in place was in the wrong position. At first inspection they seemed to be tight and correctly fitted and the noise seemed to be unaffected by braking, yet the noise completely disappeared once they were refitted correctly.

I've had similar noises when the dust/heat guard catches on the disc, but that's usually quite a speed-dependant noise. When the brake pads rattle it's more road surface dependant.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 1st September 2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 1st September 2016, 08:15 AM

My bet is on the heat deflectors.
Old 1st September 2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a42l2011 View Post
I removed the shock absorber and the noise was almost gone so I replaced with a known good one, same metal to metal rattle.
Broken spring. Sounds like the bottom coil has snapped off and the broken ends are touching and making a noise. I had the same thing on my D2 and our TT
Old 1st September 2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Broken spring. Sounds like the bottom coil has snapped off and the broken ends are touching and making a noise. I had the same thing on my D2 and our TT
I was thinking dust shield around the disc like others until I read this^.

I had the very same maddening noise on my old e46 3 series, and it was the rear coil that had snapped at the bottom. I'd forgotten all about that until I read MikkiJayne's comment. Simple enough fix. I bought some spring compressors from eBay cheaply enough. Fine for occasional use.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 1st September 2016, 10:18 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I had that too on my first '8. The side in question was a little lower, which is what gave it away.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st September 2016, 10:22 AM

Yeh, the spring is a good call. My sons 17yr old Honda CR-V had both springs go within a few months of each other and as as they broke in the cup at the lower end it was hard to see until it was totally jacked up with weight off the wheels.
Old 1st September 2016, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. Positive it is not the springs confirmed that has all coils. Had three sets of 269 mm rotors two drilled & slotted and one smooth. and two different oem type semi metallic pads and one set ceramic with tapered edges. Didn't notice a lose dust sheild when I changed the rotors.

The sound is very much like a sloppy set of brakes but 99% sure not brakes.

The exhaust is properly supported via the rubber hangers.

Next least expensive step is to pull the exhaust and heat shields and inspect the driveshaft center carrier. I think I'll order the rear output seal for transmission because I will right there.

The street I live on is concrete that has cracked so the city of Toledo has patched with asphalt. So I have little bumps every 15' to rattle this issue and remind me...

Any other thoughts or ideas is greatly appreciated Thanks