A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 25th May 2019, 10:29 AM

Default Urgent Air compressor replacement help

I am mid way replacing the compressor on my 2004 D3.

I have fully removed the old one, and went to install it's replacement.

As the airline is a hard pipe, I am installing this first as I can rotate the compressor about to overcome the fact it is a hard pipe. but am at a loss now as the airline does not fully tighten down onto the compressor. The nut goes in fine, and threads all the way down but then just seems to keep spinning and not get any tighter, I put the blanking nut from the new compressor on the old compressor and it does up and locks in place.

Am I doing something wrong, is this what is supposed to happen? is it meant to tighten and rotate no more?

Help!!!!
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 25th May 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 25th May 2019, 01:28 PM

Well it turns out that I had stripped the threads on the new pump as that part of the pump body is made of plastic, so after a moment of panic I swapped that part from the old pump because that was good, it's basically the whole filter assembly swapped between old and new.

I then carefully re-attached the airline and tightened it up as tight as I dare remembering I am screwing into plastic. I then put it all back together and hit problem number 2. I think I have assembled the bolts incorrectly that mount the pump onto the car, there is a lot of vibration when the compressor runs.

Next thing, I am now checking the sequence of springs and washers.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 26th May 2019, 05:25 AM

So I ended up taking most of it apart for a second time and placed the mounting springs and washers in the correct order which has improved things somewhat.

My stupid mistakes added 4 hours onto what turned out to be an easier job than I though.

For reference this is the video I used for dissasembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX8lu2auQxQ&t=27s

Although he had other issues in assembly.

I still don't understand why the most critical part, why you screw a brass nut into a plastic thread. it's not because an after market pump was used as even the oem one was plastic.

For more reference, when you place the pump back into the car, the springs and washers sit beneath the pump. The pump effectively sits on the springs and metal washers (all of which have a retainer to hold the spring in place) with a bolt through the centre.

The above is for the petrol V8, I believe the diesel has a very different mounting system.

Last edited by mannyo; 26th May 2019 at 05:31 AM.
Old 26th May 2019, 10:35 AM

Glad you got sorted Manny, every day is a school day

I believe the V10 is also different, it can't be reached via the wheel arch.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra