A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 7th November 2015, 08:59 AM

Default Flashing glow plug indicator.....

About 30 miles into a 45 mile drive last Sunday morning.... ( I have to mention it was a Sunday morning because driving towards me, driving around the petworth area, were several (loads) of awesome, special, rare cars.....I guess they were coming from the final ( of the year) Goodwood breakfast meetings)?

Anyway.....I digress.....
So, for about 15 miles from my destination the glow plug light started flashing and continued to do so for the rest of the journey. The car then felt down on power.....like there was no turbo intervention when there should have been.

After spending an hour or so at my destination, I restarted the car and the glow plug light was still 'flashing'. It then extinguished and the car drove home without fault. I have since driven 2 journeys to work without fault.
I hope to plug the vagcom in tomorrow to see what the hiccup was.

Does anyone recognise this fault or have any ideas what it might be indicative of?
The car in question is a 4.2 tdi.

The reason for the trip was to view an A6 Allroad......which I took delivery of on Thurs. So, we have another Audi in the Household now (can you have too many?). The 6 yr old car drives really nice and wifey is over the moon! Happy days!
My pride and joy - 1991 ur 20v quattro (owned since 2003).
BMW 645 (Need to sell now I have 2 A8s....)
Previous cars
A8 D4 4.2tdi lwb (2011)
A4 cab 3.0 Quattro petrol (2005)
T5 Caravelle exec 2.5 (2006)
A8 D2 3.7 quattro sport (2001)
A8 D3 4.2 quattro (2003)
A6 4.2 quattro avant (1999)
A6 2.8 quattro (1998)
Audi Coupe 2.6E (1993)
Carlton 3.0 GSI
Old 7th November 2015, 09:35 AM

It means there is a VAG-specific fault code stored in the engine control unit, but it is probably not emission related (OBDII) as that would give the standard engine warning symbol.
Old 7th November 2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcjd View Post
driving towards me, driving around the petworth area, were several (loads) of awesome, special, rare cars.....I guess they were coming from the final ( of the year) Goodwood breakfast meetings
Indeed they were, "Bahn-stormer Sunday" in the fog. One of those cars might have been my D2 S8 as I went through Petworth after I left.
I was there from soon after 7am, parked on the circuit just before the pit lane entry next to an old M3.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th November 2015, 10:47 AM

The car went into limp mode, do you regularly stretch the cars legs and give it an "Italian tune up"? it could be the vnt mech got stuck but ideally to save wasting you own time you need to see what code was logged and go from there
Old 7th November 2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
The car went into limp mode, do you regularly stretch the cars legs and give it an "Italian tune up"? it could be the vnt mech got stuck but ideally to save wasting you own time you need to see what code was logged and go from there
To be honest....I do drive it like an old woman! (I know.....what a waste!) It doesn't seem like the sort of car that wants to be driven 'hard' given its barge like lwb character.

However, if you're suggesting I give it a good 'hoon' now and then......maybe I should!

In the meantime.....I'll see what the vagcom has to say.
My pride and joy - 1991 ur 20v quattro (owned since 2003).
BMW 645 (Need to sell now I have 2 A8s....)
Previous cars
A8 D4 4.2tdi lwb (2011)
A4 cab 3.0 Quattro petrol (2005)
T5 Caravelle exec 2.5 (2006)
A8 D2 3.7 quattro sport (2001)
A8 D3 4.2 quattro (2003)
A6 4.2 quattro avant (1999)
A6 2.8 quattro (1998)
Audi Coupe 2.6E (1993)
Carlton 3.0 GSI