A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 27th October 2013, 07:15 PM

Default Acceptable engine movement

Just wondering if anyone can add to this. . . . .

Whilst under the car earlier today I noticed that when rotating either of the front wheels (when clear of the ground, selector in P and handbrake on), the engine and transmission seemed to move a large amount (up and down around 20-30mm) very easily.

I'm thinking the transmission mounts are slightly on the worn side. Has anyone else experienced this? Could also possibly explain the slight knock and slack in take up of drive. . . . ?

Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 28th October 2013, 08:17 PM

After doing some delving, It's evident that the front torque support on the front O/S of the engine is basically in 2 bits. . . .

Will be replacing asap.
Old 30th October 2013, 06:19 AM

Has anyone had this issue before and if so, what symptoms were you having?
Old 30th October 2013, 06:57 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

No, new one to me - sorry!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 30th October 2013, 07:08 AM

If one engine mount has gone, I'd keep an eye on the rest and the tranny mounts. Guessing you don't really feel the car itself lift when you turn the wheel like that as the lift is being transferred into the engine as the mount has failed.

Replace it and see what happens.

I know.. I know..

Old 30th October 2013, 08:10 AM

When alternating from reverse to drive with the engine started and the bonnet lifted (and foot on the brake), you can see quite a large amount of up and down movement too. I've inspected the other mounts and they seem ok at the moment. The torque support that has failed is subjected to a fair bit of stress I'd imagine.

Ordered a new one from Audi, very reasonably priced I thought.
Old 6th November 2013, 05:33 AM

Has the issue been accompanied by any vibration at idle, particularly in drive with the brakes being held?
Old 6th November 2013, 06:34 AM

I've had a transmission mount fail, it was making a twangy clunk noise over short sharp potholes. There was no obvious feel of movement from within the car but the gearbox could be lifted a good inch on the tail. With mine being FWD the tail of the gearbox is held only by the mounts so there is no extra metal work or driveshafts limiting movement. On replacement only one of the mounts had failed, the rubber had gone soft and cracked, the drivers side looked like it had virtually no wear. I don't know if something had got onto the mount and ruined it, all other mounts in the car were completely fine. Audi supplied both mounts at somewhere in the region of £100 each 3 years ago.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 24th March 2014, 09:55 PM

So I finally had some time to replace the torque support mount at the front of the engine which has improved things slightly. There is less slack in the drive train but the transmission still moves up and down a fair bit. Can the engine/transmission mounts fail without losing fluid? They don't look in particularly good condition under the protective rubber cover.

I also noticed a fair bit of movement in the rear diff when alternating R and D so I'm going to replace the front mount which is quite worn.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Mugzee; 25th March 2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 27th March 2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
Has the issue been accompanied by any vibration at idle, particularly in drive with the brakes being held?

That's exactly what I have.

What is it? It's driving me f@cking nuts

THE WHALE IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER... errr but leaking again