A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 8th February 2010, 04:37 AM
A8quattro

Default Misfires on a 4.2L

Hi, recently my '99 has been sitting out in the cold & out of the heated garage (need room for a project). The colder the mornings, the more problems the engine has running smooth. Almost immediately the check engine lights up. After I arrive at my destination, I check the codes and all are engine misfires: Random/multiple cylinder misfire. Also, specific codes for most of the cylinders. At times the vehicle struggles to upshift, causing the RPMs to swing wildly between 1500 and 3000. Even if I sit and let it warm up, the car shakes.

Question: Is there a part (or parts) that are sensitive to the cold that may be in need of replacement?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:32 PM

theres a coolant temp sensor and an air intake temp sensor (which is part of the mass meter i think) If either of them go wonky they can produce all kinds of maladys, it thinks its warm when flat cold or vise versa, i'd have it vag com'd to see what the score is. I'd pay close attention to the mass meter (and its output) i'm sure i've seen a post somewhere with similar symptoms that was mass meter related.