A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 7th April 2012, 08:55 PM

Default Help Knocking from behined dash

Hi
Not sure which section to put this in but trying to diagnose a knocking noise evident mostly below 30 mph, mostly around 1-10mph and nearly always when coming to a stand still or moving off. It sounds like its coming from behind the dash and can be felt through the steering. Checked out the suspension and track control arms - they seem fine, no play. Turn the steering side to side (both stationary and in motion) too but can't get it to repeat? Thought it was a worn steering U-joint. It sounds like some thing is loose and getting worse day by day with more and more knocking. PS I cant hear it outside the car??? Its driving me mad making me think something about to let go big time, any ideas?
'97 2.8sport (FWD)173k on the clock
Old 8th April 2012, 01:42 PM

You got any kind of car kit installed? these sometimes get tucked up behind dash and can work loose then bouce about.

Maybe a transmission mount and just the way it's echoing about?

I know.. I know..

Old 8th April 2012, 02:08 PM

Check the front suspension upper arms.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:18 AM

Both of the items are fairly new and OE as I had them replaced a couple of years back. Although under Nollywoods advice I had a quick look at the upper arms as I recall hitting a nasty pot hole a few weeks back and I'm sure the suspension may have taken a turn for the worse - I can see a clear mark in the wheel well just a I've the front upper arm so am guessing the uppers are shot. Btw what kind of car kit are you referring to?
Old 9th April 2012, 09:21 AM

A mobile phone car kit was what I was on about...

I know.. I know..

Old 9th April 2012, 02:35 PM

Default Testing upper arms

To test the upper arms undo the pinch bolts and release the ball joints and then just move the arms around...if they are creaking it will be obvious then....
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012