A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 29th January 2009, 09:17 PM

Default Climate control panel lights - E87 D2 PFL

Have recently had the bulb on one side of the CC control panel burn out. Its OK during the day but you don't have a clue at night so decided to give it a go tonight.

There's some ambiguity as to whether all versions of the E87 control units can have there bulbs replaced. For future reference it seems any E87 unit that has the "Off" button on the prefacelift cars can be refitted with new bulbs (mines a '97 FYI).
I followed the workshop manual and some advice posted here VWvortex Forums: 1997 A8 Climate control bulb replacement. There are a couple of mistakes as pointed out by PsYcHe (cheers).
One is that lower red arrow in the first pic on this link should be pointing the other way i.e. its the screw that is forward most of the two that you need to undo on either side.

The second is the bolt that retains the panel behind the central vents which are prised out carefully using a couple tools made from an old coat hanger or a carefully placed screw driver would also do the trick.

X=about 6mm

I sourced a pack of 10 286T 12volt 1.2w bulbs from ebay for a fiver. The OE ones on the control unit are Alba 12w 0.9w; though they are different proportions in size the new ones fitted fine and do not protrude from the front panel. There is no screw driver slot in the new ones so you'll have to use a pair of needle nosed pliars to rotate the new bulbs through 90 degrees.

Black purchased from Ebay; Green is OE

Despite the minute power increase there wasn't any noticable difference in brightness. From start to finish its a couple of hours work tops due to removing the carpets and console side trims etc.
Needless to say I replaced all three bulbs.

Now I'm off to get some petrol...
Cheers