A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 27th August 2011, 06:01 PM

Default Parking Up the Old 8?

Hi All
Circumstances mean I have to park up my '97 A8 for a while (7-9months or more). OK I know its only a baby 2.8 but I wouldn't get much for it with 170k on the clock and I had it for over 7 years and think I would miss it
So my question is how often should I start her up (It'll have a cover on it etc.). Is there any thing else I should do periodically? Indeed do you think I should sell it instead?

Your thoughts as ever appreciated
Ska
Old 27th August 2011, 06:49 PM

Sorry to hear that Ska, but I do agree that it almost makes more sense to hang on to it than sell it for what you would get. You know what you've done to this car and wouldn't get that much for it anyways.

Your biggest issue will be the battery running down if you don't start it and run it every week or two max. The alarm and electrics that are wired in will trickle drain the battery and then you could have issues with getting in etc like others have had. Alternatively get a solar trickle feed charger to help keep it charged

Personally I would run the car once a week until warm and run things like air con for a spell etc to keep it all turning over and working and obviously check levels etc as needed. I'd recommend leaving the brakes off and leave it in park if you can so the brakes dont bind on but you may still get issues depending on how long its there.

Tyres is a tricky one as the longer you leave the car the more chance there is of the degradation of tyres but the only way to deal with that is to keep moving the car or take some weight off the tyres.

I hope you're able to get back in the 8 soon and wish you all the best

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 27th August 2011, 09:40 PM

You can enable transport mode with VCDS to slow battery discharge. When You say cover I understand it will be outdoors. I am not sure I would leave it under cover for long periods though I would be afraid of moisture because of condensation from changing temps, not sure never used covers maybe they breathe good enough for moisture not to be a problem. I would put good UV protective wax on it and leave without cover but that is just me.

Anyway put battery on charge every 2 weeks if not enabling transport mode or disconnecting it. Solar trickle charger like Neil says is not a bad idea but never used them myself so do not know how effective would that be but at least it would slow down discharging if not keep battery full, obviously would not work under cover.
Start it and run for a while at least once a month. I would probably be a bit cheeky and run it around a block in quite times with little traffic when cops are not around to clear rust from brake discs and drive it over some bumps or on/off kerb to work out shocks so that rods get fresh oil on them and does not start to rust and also give a workout for tyres so that same point is not always on the ground. Or have somebody else do it with insurance that allows them to drive other cars and if get stopped say they are potential buyers doing a test drive.

Every 2-3 months give electric moving parts like window lifters, wipers, washers a go as well, do not use water in cooling system or washer bottle but use proper liquids, use some conditioner on leather and silicon lubricant spray, tyre shine or back to black on rubber parts like door and window seals.

You might have problem with moisture build up inside, should be less of a problem if you have solar sunroof that vents it under sun otherwise put some old newspapers in every now and then in it to soak up moisture or use reusable silica gel granules.
I might have forgotten something but I have a friend that worked in used car sale business and I also had up to 4 cars at the same time so that some were standing without use for quite some time so I do know what I am talking about
Old 28th August 2011, 09:53 AM

7-9 months from now is through the worst of winter.
Car cover should do nicely for a cheap storage solution, depending on how attached you are and your budget then as advised above, a sealant wax would assist. Ensure enough coolant mixture is in too.
I'd turn the car every 2 weeks and at least run it every month - depending on the size of your estate!
There is a good chance the brakes won't come back even when running it up and down every month - had 3 cars where even after sitting for 6 months, I couldn't get the corrosion off and pads/discs to feel right weeks after daily use - using the principal of driving it around the farm every month - but that's the price I paid. I do believe I saved the tyres by running it though.
I would store the battery internally if you don't intend to crank or run it, but I've never had any issues with the 2 week rule. I wouldnt worry about the interior.

Last edited by captain; 28th August 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:06 PM

Thanks Guys,
I had to park it up sooner than expected; hit a masive pothole in the dark last night which took out my NS front tyre. Luckily it was a run flat so limped home and all the air came out just as I parked up! Will have to whip off the wheel and check for rim damage as it made a realy nasty metalic crunch noise on impact. There were no street lights on this country lane plus an oncomming car and one broken down in front of me and a daft mare driving on my rear bumper in her one headlighted micra!
Old 4th September 2011, 06:10 PM

^^^^ That was pretty nasty, Ska. Glad you didn't do more damage - suspension is particularly vulnerable. I would get the geometery checked before laying her up, if you haven't already done so.

Best of luck, hope you're back in your D2 pretty soon!

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.