A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 11th June 2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Personally I'd only buy an auto - it just lends itself to stop-start and town driving.
adaptive cruise as standard
Both I'd say are an absolute must these days for almost any type of driving on public roads.
Modern auto gearboxes (especially the 8-speed or more versions) are seamless and typically more fuel-efficient than a manual.

If only you could retrofit adaptive cruise to a D2...…
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th June 2018, 04:08 PM

Thanks again Adrian & Andrew

Perhaps we should consider s-tronic then !
We will be looking at year 2017 cars, i.e. 'slightly used' lastest generation A3s.
Don't known how wife will test drive s-tronic though cause she never sat in car with automatic.

Golf looks appealing with adaptive cruise in GTI.
Should revisit this again.

Last edited by notorious; 11th June 2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11th June 2018, 04:46 PM

Adrian,

Did Audi publish any statements about life expectancy of latest S-rtonics?
I know manual will probably outlast the engine, but how about the dual clutch thing? If serviced properly of course.
Also, can they be reconditioned like old ZF hydraulic gearboxes? Or are they ‘sealed for life’?
Old 11th June 2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Don't known how wife will test drive s-tronic though cause she never sat in car with automatic.
Almost the same issue here when test driving before buying our Volvo V40; the ONLY automatic SWMBO had ever driven in recent years was my old S8, and then very very rarely.

However, she was "on board" with the logic of getting an auto and soon got used to it. And she loves the ACC.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th June 2018, 04:50 PM

On the Golf there’s very little difference between our 2015 and the facelift that came out last year (referred to as Mk7 or Mk7.5) apart from the option for a bigger option nav screen. Ours has the biggest option screen for the time and has all the toys you’d want

My advice for novice auto drivers is always to forget you’ve got a left leg - you don’t need it! Driving s-tronic style boxes doesn’t really require a different technique to a normal auto

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 11th June 2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Adrian,

Did Audi publish any statements about life expectancy of latest S-rtonics?
I know manual will probably outlast the engine, but how about the dual clutch thing? If serviced properly of course.
Also, can they be reconditioned like old ZF hydraulic gearboxes? Or are they ‘sealed for life’?
I’m not aware of anything published (they’d be risking claims for any car that failed to meet their expected lifespan if they did!)

Just to give you an indicator, mate has a Skoda Superb that he uses for airport runs. It’s coming up to 7 years old and has done near enough THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES with just routine servicing on the dual clutch box

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 11th June 2018, 09:23 PM

Am I going to get lynched for suggesting you also look at a Volvo!? Possibly a V60?
Old 11th June 2018, 09:30 PM

Love our Volvo V40, but it's relatively small, so depending what you need a V60 sounds good.
Though, that said, an A3 was (for a short while) a similarly-sized contender for us. Lost out on lack of tech, which tells you a lot!

Plus points of V40 - really safe, top quality, lots of tech options. 5-door hatchback ONLY (no estate or saloon options).
Possible downsides - realistically 4 good seats; fitting 5 adults for a long trip is not a good idea (local trips are fine). Boot is quite small.

And for your budget you may be looking at an older one; the newer models with the VEA engine range are IMHO better.
Only the top-of-range T5 Cross-country (which we have) is 4-wheel drive and faster than my S8 (up to about 100mph). No longer available new, not that you would care.

Most autos have a 6-speed Aisin (Borg-Warner as was?) box, the T5 has a superb 8-speed one. The extra speeds are really "overdrive" ratios for relaxed cruising.

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th June 2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11th June 2018, 11:19 PM

If you're bored (or intrigued) and want to read our tale of starting by test driving an A3 and ending buying a V40, look here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11019
Old 13th June 2018, 04:56 PM

Team,

Thanks everyone for helping me!

Today drove all the way to King's Lynn (!!) Audi to view this car
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01803064313334
and purchased it.

Lipstick red 2017 A3 Sport 2.0 TFSI 190hp
with S-tronic, Adaptive Cruise Control & Apple CarPlay
(the car which is only 7mm narrower than D2 mirror-to-mirror)

14,000 miles, £18,400

This was epic. Thanks again for all your help.

Low RPM @ 70mph

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1823.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	19490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	19491  

Last edited by notorious; 13th June 2018 at 09:07 PM.