A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 10th October 2013, 09:25 AM

Default 2006 Audi A8 4.2 TDI - Project Thread

Hi,

Just wanted to start a project thread to update on any changes for the new D3. Having had it now for 2 weeks and driven it 800 miles, i can honestly say it's the nicest car I've ever owned.

The spec:
- D3 A8 Sport 4.2 TDI twin turbo
- Azure Blue with pearl-effect finish (Z5K) Audi Exclusive Paint
- Amaretto Brown Valcona Leather sport seats and matching roof lining
- Sports suspension, folding autodim mirrors
- Bang & Olufsen Sound
- Digital TV Tuner
- Extended aluminium pack
- Heated front seats
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring
- Xenon Plus headlights
- Wooden 3 spoke sport steering wheel
- Fridge
- Extended Leather Pack 2
- Wooden gear knob
- One Touch memory (Fingerprint sensor)
- Automatic Boot lid
- Electric Tilt/Slide Glass sunroof
- Soft-close doors
- Graphic Park Distance Control
- 19' RS6 Wheels

At the moment, this is the list of things I'll be working my way through in the coming year:

- Winter mats
- Replace missing passenger seat trim
- Replace missing engine undertray
- DRL retrofit to LED
- Upgrade xenons to 5000k
- Restore minor leather wear on front seats
- Replace headlight washer hose to stop fluid leak
- S8 mirrors
- S8 grille
- Remove ding on boot lid
- Add grocery bag hooks in the boot
- Replace faulty front PDC
- Stone chip windscreen repair
- AMI cable for iPhone5 (when oh when will Audi have this?)
- Facelift LED rears
- 20mm rear spacers
- Summer tyres (currently on winter tyres but happy with that given we're going into that time of year)
- Replace faulty aircon condenser
- Front end respray: previous work wasn't done very well and may as well tackle any stone chips
- Remap
- Straight chrome exhaust tips
- Install dashcam
- A service
- A serious detail

Thanks,

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 30th March 2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10th October 2013, 10:24 AM

Good luck Oli.. You should maybe add a Shark remap to that

Maybe even a set of 20" Cantonas.. not that I know anyone that might be selling a set soon.

For the AMI, I'd go with an HDD in there rather than the phone as it'll save you faffing with the glovebox all the time, I fitted some USB sockets to the cubby under the arm rest and plug the phone in there to charge.

I know.. I know..

Old 10th October 2013, 11:10 AM

Default Rubber winter mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Good luck Oli.. You should maybe add a Shark remap to that

For the AMI, I'd go with an HDD in there rather than the phone as it'll save you faffing with the glovebox all the time, I fitted some USB sockets to the cubby under the arm rest and plug the phone in there to charge.
Awesome! Have you got a link to any past threads on the HDD and the USB sockets? The Shark remap has been added to the list

The first addition to the D3 arrived yesterday: OEM winter mats ready for autumn and winter

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Old 10th October 2013, 12:29 PM

Very nice indeed. Nice spec and will be even nicer spec'd when you're done with it
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 10th October 2013, 12:29 PM

The HDD is simple, it's just the USB adapter for the AMI and a 2.5" HDD that's powered from the USB adapter, mine happens to be Audi branded, but any drive will do.

The USB sockets I don't think I ever got a proper write up done. It's a really simple mod to do.

- Remove the central cubby, which does need some fiddling with the armrests too to get it out.

- Take the rear climate panel out, the lighter surround pops off, and thenit's two torx screws and it pulls out from the bottom.

- Fit a lighter to USB adapter in parallel with the rear adapter.

- Fit a flush USB socket such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/neutrik-usb-...-socket-219901 . You'll need to cut the appropriate sized hole, be careful you don't damage the coloured coating.

- And then just connect a USB cable from the charger to the socket and the on to your device.

I know.. I know..

Old 10th October 2013, 09:52 PM

Missing trim replaced - phew...i can sleep again at night!

Oli

Old 10th October 2013, 10:06 PM

Ahh my OCD is calming down already lol
Please don't put S8 mirrors on it, it looks awesome in blue with the mirrors coloured the same. On the iPhone 5 issue, you can use an adaptor like this one to plug into the iPhone 4 lead for the ami until something bespoke is finally made by Audi -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5853
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	6837  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 10th October 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Ahh my OCD is calming down already lol
Please don't put S8 mirrors on it, it looks awesome in blue with the mirrors coloured the same. On the iPhone 5 issue, you can use an adaptor like this one to plug into the iPhone 4 lead for the ami until something bespoke is finally made by Audi[/IMG]
Thanks Neil - I have one of them but it doesn't work for me. I'm quite surprised Audi haven't yet sorted out a proper cable for it yet

On the S8 mirrors, I'm afraid i'm going full steam ahead with it - I love the contrast on the colour so not sure you'll sway me away from them

...i'll keep the originals though in case it doesn't work out

Oli

Old 10th October 2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
Thanks Neil - I have one of them but it doesn't work for me. I'm quite surprised Audi haven't yet sorted out a proper cable for it
If you buy the "official" (and much more expensive) apple lighting to 30 pin adaptor then it should work with the AMI whereas cheaper ones don't

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 14th October 2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
If you buy the "official" (and much more expensive) apple lighting to 30 pin adaptor then it should work with the AMI whereas cheaper ones don't
Thanks Neil - I'll have a go at that as you're right, mine's not an official one.

Had some goodies arrive in the post over the weekend and today...

Fresh in from Deutschland, I'll be looking to fit these when i get a chance:

...and use the Woolies leather renovation kit on the front seats to restore a few minor wear marks - as usual, Woolies was brilliant and having sent in a sample of the leather have matched it :

Tags
4.2, audi, tdi