A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd February 2020, 11:34 AM

Question S8 Brembos - replacing hard lines with braided?

Hi,

The hardline into the back of the callipers is no longer available. I had mine on and off a few times, they've twisted a bit, and I'm not sure I trust them anymore. Has anyone replaced them, with soft braided lines? Is it doable, or even advisable? Just had my calipers stripped again, and need to refit them.

Thanks in advance,
Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 23rd February 2020, 07:39 PM

Question

Anybody? Mikki??

Cheers, Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 23rd February 2020, 07:53 PM

I just make new hardlines from standard copper tube. I think the reason they did this was to constrain the motion of the flexi hose, so while technically there is no reason you couldn't just run a flexi straight in to the caliper, I'm not sure what the motion would look like then. Standard, its in a nice U shape and stays that shape wherever the steering / ride height is - just a larger or smaller radius. If you had a union coming straight from the back of the caliper then I think the hose has a much larger range of movement.

HEL (who are 6 miles from me) could make up pretty much anything in stainless braided, but having had a look at a caliper today I'm not sure what shape you'd want to make it tbh.
Old 24th February 2020, 10:39 AM

Question

I was thinking you could just replace the hard line section...rather than the whole run up into the arch...? Is that possible?

Would you be willing to make me up a couple of hard lines for a fee please...?

Thanks,
Zip

Old 24th February 2020, 10:55 AM

Oh I see what you mean. With the right shape unions on the end it would probably work, but it seems slightly overkill then when copper pipe will work instead.

I need to replace my flare tool with a better one so this might be a good excuse
Old 24th February 2020, 11:30 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I need to replace my flare tool with a better one so this might be a good excuse
Yes please! You could send me that blind at the same time........

Cheers,
Zip

Old 29th February 2020, 12:07 AM

Question

Hi Mikki...not sure how serious you were...I need to get the car back on the road...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Zip

Old 29th February 2020, 08:11 AM

If you still have the original pipes and they are still in one piece, you could try taking them to a local garage to get some made up. Use them as a template. Be aware they are handed and so are slightly different on each side.
Old 29th February 2020, 08:20 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
If you still have the original pipes and they are still in one piece, you could try taking them to a local garage to get some made up. Use them as a template. Be aware they are handed and so are slightly different on each side.
I was thinking of doing that. Thanks,
Zip

Old 29th February 2020, 08:26 AM

I have one made. Hopefully will get the other one done today