A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 11th December 2014, 04:47 PM

Ok, fair point Scott
Old 12th December 2014, 09:23 AM

You will need to order individual parts from Audi or TPS.

I have not much experience with Meyle HD arms, I only have 2 straight lower arms on the S8, not had them long and not much mileage done.

However Meyle HD track rod ends did not impress me. A6 when we bought it had extensive service and repair history and only one of the track rod ends have ever been replaced not long before we bought a car with 150k miles on it. None of the arms have been replaced. Half year later before MOT second track rod end needed replacing as well so I went for Meyle HD version, couple of months later one of them started squeaking so because it was getting dry. I put new new grease in it an it lasted less then year in total, the other one was still fine. I though maybe it was just a one off manufacturing error that there was not enough grease in there so I bought a new set of the same HD version. These lasted about 2 years and 23k miles. So that was better than cheap aftermarket ones that seem to last for a year and somewhere 6-10k miles but nowhere near OEM stuff and not 4 years that claims to be Meyle warranty for HD version. I bought them on e-bay so I cannot be sure it was genuine Meyle stuff but they had Meyle and Made in Germany stamped on them and branded packaging but you never know. I never tried to claim them on warranty and at least rubber boots did not start cracking and falling apart in a year like on some(not all) cheap aftermarket stuff. The factory arms are still fine at 185k miles on A6.

I think if you want to keep car for a long time and do a lot of miles it's best to buy genuine OEM stuff, it may cost more but at least it will gives you piece of mind and you only pay once for fitting. If you do the spannering yourself then it might be different.

I guess the point of storing stuff for years and not always in correct conditions raised by Adrian may be valid but if the parts can last over 10 years and 100k miles of the abuse on the car I don't think couple of years in warehouse will do much damage.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th December 2014, 06:20 PM

Cheers Anairs.

Made in Germany. My ass... It's made in Turkey this MeyleHD !!!

Only OEM. Only genuine hard core stuff. And only from Audi/TPS hands.

Discussion closed. Went ordering ...
Old 17th December 2014, 03:08 PM

Whilst I understand your caution Sergei, Meyle does seem a quality outfit and if the design (in Germany) and manufacture (worldwide as stated on their website) is subject to appropriate review and control, then their products should be quality stuff. According to their website, their products are certified by TUV (and here, I must point out that my outfit is part of the TUV SUD organisation) and therefore will be required to meet appropriate design standards and manufacturing sampling/testing criteria. As ScottD3 said, its the quality of the parts that matter. I guess that they dont sell direct to the public as their website, whilst advertising full kits (see link), requires a sign in which I cannot find a way of accessing.

http://www.meyle.com/en/spare-parts/search.html
Old 17th December 2014, 03:50 PM

Don't mind if the company is headquartered in China.
Don't mind if the product is designed in Turkey.

But the product should be **made** in one of 3 places: Switzerland, Japan or Germany.
The 3 islands of high quality manufacturing that still remain in this world.
No compromises here.
Old 17th December 2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Don't mind if the company is headquartered in China.
Don't mind if the product is designed in Turkey.

But the product should be **made** in one of 3 places: Switzerland, Japan or Germany.
No compromises here.
Sorry to disagree, but its the design origin that's important along with stringent control of manufacturing. I am involved in offshore lifting operations and am happy that, for instance, a crane is designed in Germany but built in China - as long as it is subject to appropriate, stringent inspection by an independent party during and on completion of build - e.g. materials used, weld inspections, rope certificates, tests etc, etc))

Something thats designed in China is frequently not subject to the quality standards that are applicable in the EU or USA and should be viewed with suspicion - even if the the Germans built it (which they wouldnt).

So, if your control arms are designed in Germany by Meyle but cast/forged in China and are subject to appropriate controls on the materials used, quality of casting/forging etc (by, for instance, a certification Company like TUV), then you should have a quality product.

In Invergordon, where I was working recently, there are 2 offshore drilling platforms, designed and (mostly) built in China though many madules are built elsewhere. It is taking months and big bucks to bring them up to European standards for use in the North Sea.
Old 17th December 2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
No compromises here.
Since when has Switzerland been a major manufacturing centre???

Watches, penknives, holey cheese, banking and tax evaders is what Switzerland is all about surely?
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 17th December 2014, 04:28 PM

The 3 countries I mentioned will simply decline to manufacture badly designed products.
This is why the headquarters location and design location are completely not important if product is made in SW, JP or GER.

EDIT:

It is also prohibitively expensive to manufacture s**t in one of those 3 countries.
So my bottomline criteria for checking product quality is: where the hell the product is **made**?
If it's switzerland for instance, I'm buying without asking any more questions.

Don't get me wrong, you can still get nice products made in china.
My iPhone and all my apple stuff is made in China.
It doesn't contradict with what I'm saying here.
But I will need a bit of research before I buy.

Hope it makes sense.

In terms of suspension I ordered OEM.

Last edited by notorious; 17th December 2014 at 04:40 PM.