A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 1st January 2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_le_b View Post
Audi dealer in Jersey quotes near on £1100
That's probably pretty much the official audi price and I guess there's not too much competition there with several dealers in a close to each other situation as there sometimes is here

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 27th April 2015, 07:35 PM

parts from wholesalers in france are a horrendous price , but on line , a different story ; and with the euro@1.40.....

eg

http://www.webdealauto.com/fr/pompe-...67.3096/1.html

seem to include 4 pulleys/belt/water pump/ some sort of tensioner!blow up the diagram to get a better idea or even roust out google translations

about once a month I get a free delivery offer in france , but as you can pickup in one of their shops dunkirk/calais/boulogne a few together making a day trip / booze cruise could make a very economic jolly !

amazing range on price of thermostats ..€8 to €40 !

Last edited by oldnick; 27th April 2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 29th April 2015, 09:49 AM

I bought a Gates/INA kit from Mister-Auto for £216. That's everything bar the pump and 'stat. Bought the latter 2 from TPS (with 'stat o-ring) for around £120. Pump has a £30 surcharge too and is refunded if returned within 14 days.
Obviously need G13 and DI water to refill system as well.
Old 5th August 2015, 09:45 AM

I have just had the timing belt etc done as a consequence of thermostat failure and thought that it might be helpful to offer my observations/comments. As the belt etc was done some 60k miles/5 years ago it was agred that the belt etc should be renewed.
Discussing the use of OEM parts or aftermarket kits, both the independent garage owner and myself agreed that I should go with OEM parts as, in his experience, aftermarket kits were not always up to the job. When removing the old belt/rollers I was surprised to see that they were a mix of Contitech parts and 1 Audi part despite the fact that the outfit which had done the job 5 years ago proudly advertises that it uses "Only Audi genuine parts used".
The belt was Contitech and the rollers/pulleys/tensioners were INA with one idler roller an Audi item - tho' INA stamped at the opposite end (see photos). The other roller was INA but manufactured in Slovakia . The 'stat (which failed) has no markings except for the operating temp (87Deg).
There is a degree of confusion about the parts (well, with me in any case!) due to the fact that ELSA/ETKA/Service manual use differing terminology even in the same document - the Tensioning Lever aka Clamping Lever (077 109 485C/E), is itself is shown in differing Audi drawings as consisting of separate components or as a single part item. It is, in fact, only supplied as a single item. I have laid all the components out on a board along with their part nos. which may be of help to others (see photo). I am waiting to find out the costs of all this as my garage is seeing whether they can get the surcharge back off the water pump as the non-Audi water pump fitted 5yrs ago will be accepted! I will post the parts costs when i get them.
It it certain that going for Audi parts will cost me more than a Contitech kit but at least I have the feeling that I have done the best thing AND the garage will guarantee the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing belt +rollers_pulleys_tensioners.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	11527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contitech toothed belt 078 109 119H.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	11528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Idler Pulley - Eccentric Adjuster 077 109 244E.JPG
Views:	290