A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 17th December 2014, 04:58 PM

I'm near Colchester, so north Essex. I would join the M25 at junction 28 Brentwood. I work in north London area near junction 24 of the M25.
HPsauce thanks for the offer and I might take you up on it

I know Marcin as I met him at ADI earlier this year and I think he's in Dartford area which makes him the closest.

The garage I use is owned by a friend of mine and he has vagcom (Rosstech on a laptop) assuming this is the same thing?
I will try him first and see what his diag says, I will post results on here.

Thanks again for your help guys, I just hope it's nothing serious!

1999 Audi S8
1995 Audi URS6 Avant 2.2t
1993 Audi Cabrio 2.3 5cyl
1992 Audi 100 Quattro 2.8v6
2003 Skoda Octavia Elegance TDi
Old 17th December 2014, 05:44 PM

Vagcom is fine, it's the predecessor to VCDS and works fine on a D2.

I bought Vagcom ages ago and used it on an old XP laptop. Later updated FOC to the equivalent VCDS version so that I could use it with a later laptop, USB lead and Windows 7.

Hopefully it's just a bad plug contact or a bit of corrosion that can be cleaned off.

My current S8 lived in the Colchester/Chelmsford area before I picked it up in early 2013.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th December 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 17th December 2014, 08:44 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

If the fault codes point towards the F125 switch, I would check the condition of its connector first.

One of my previous '8s had similar issues. On inspection, the connector was in a similar condition to the one in this article: click -- Cleaning the connector fixed the problem.

The connector seems to be fairly prone to corrosion, but in my case it was made all the more vulnerable because the bottom engine tray/cover (aka the 'noise insulation' cover) was missing. Often they're removed for servicing and never refitted. My present S8's was also missing when I bought it (and it cost me £70 for a new one!).
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 17th December 2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 22nd December 2014, 01:37 PM

Hi all, thanks again for your replies, however I have an update.

As well as the shifter lights lighting up all at once and the gearbox going into limp mode there have/has been some other strange problems.
I haven't had the car for long and since purchasing it, the parking sensors had a mind of there own and mostly wouldn't work properly. But a few times they did, which I thought was strange. I had the car scanned on VCDS and nothing came up.

Then last weekend my wife and I loaded the kids into the car and push chair in the boot etc, then I tried to start the car and there wasn't enough power to turn the engine over!
Now I don't know how old the battery is (Bosch S4), but as I use the car only at weekends I thought it would be best to just get a new battery and save the messing about.
So I bought a top of the range Exide Premium (1000CCA) and all of a sudden my parking sensors are working all the time without fail and the gearbox isn't going into limp mode anymore which is great, but I don't want to speak too soon!

So my conclusion is that the voltage from the battery wasn't up to scratch and in turn caused some electrical issues.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

1999 Audi S8
Old 22nd December 2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas View Post
Hi all, thanks again for your replies, however I have an update.

As well as the shifter lights lighting up all at once and the gearbox going into limp mode there have/has been some other strange problems.
I haven't had the car for long and since purchasing it, the parking sensors had a mind of there own and mostly wouldn't work properly. But a few times they did, which I thought was strange. I had the car scanned on VCDS and nothing came up.

Then last weekend my wife and I loaded the kids into the car and push chair in the boot etc, then I tried to start the car and there wasn't enough power to turn the engine over!
Now I don't know how old the battery is (Bosch S4), but as I use the car only at weekends I thought it would be best to just get a new battery and save the messing about.
So I bought a top of the range Exide Premium (1000CCA) and all of a sudden my parking sensors are working all the time without fail and the gearbox isn't going into limp mode anymore which is great, but I don't want to speak too soon!

So my conclusion is that the voltage from the battery wasn't up to scratch and in turn caused some electrical issues.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I would check that the battery is getting properly charged. There may be voltage regulation or charging problems.

Never had any similar problem with any of my '8s, but I did experience something similar with a previous car I owned (an XM) that had battery and alternator problems. The battery slowly discharged one day while driving and the car exhibited all sorts of weird faults as the supply voltages to each ECU began to dip and fluctuate. A new battery and alternator fixed it.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 22nd December 2014, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I will also check the output on the alternator just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I would check that the battery is getting properly charged. There may be voltage regulation or charging problems.

Never had any similar problem with any of my '8s, but I did experience something similar with a previous car I owned (an XM) that had battery and alternator problems. The battery slowly discharged one day while driving and the car exhibited all sorts of weird faults as the supply voltages to each ECU began to dip and fluctuate. A new battery and alternator fixed it.

1999 Audi S8
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:35 PM

Right, just checked the new battery on my cheap multimeter:

Engine off = 12.42 volts
Engine on = 14.47 volts

I would assume that this is normal and that the alternator is fine??

Thanks
Yas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I will also check the output on the alternator just to be sure.

1999 Audi S8
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:49 PM

You can't conclusively test the alternator condition with DC voltage levels alone, but I would say that those are about the voltages I'd expect to see.

Was that under load?

If not, I would meter it again under heavy load; engine running and everything on ... headlights, fogs, rear demister, heated seats, etc.

EDIT: Also, check it with your meter switched to AC too. You should see close to zero volts on AC if voltage regulation is good.

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 22nd December 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:03 PM

Yeah I did think afterwards that I should've put the AC on etc, but I will check this another time now.

My gut feeling is that this should be ok now. I know the car wasn't used much by the previous two owners as it was a 2nd car like it is for me too and I would say that a combination of age of the battery, cold weather and lack of use on my part has probably contributed to this.

But time will tell!
Thanks again for your help and advice

1999 Audi S8
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:43 AM

My previous S8 had similar bugs when the battery was failing. ABS warning, transmission error codes, some other random error codes. When I put a new battery in and cleared the codes all those warnings disappeared and didn't come back.
I hope yours will be sorted by the new battery as well.