A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 15th October 2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzee View Post
I forgot to mention that he said the 5HP boxes are generally very reliable. He also said a lot of premature failures are caused by MAF sensors giving readings that are slightly out of tolerance (wouldn't throw a fault code or CEL) and cause the transmission to shift at the wrong times. The only way of testing is by logging data and comparing to correct values.

I have read something about that before and that most people would change the MAF after fitting a new or rebuilt transmission. . . .
Interesting as I've always said that my MAF failing caused my perfectly fine box to fail and I replaced the MAF when I changed the box. My advice is to regularly scan your car for MAF codes etc even if the car is driving fine

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 16th October 2013, 07:22 AM

Could someone please explain to me how a faulty MAF can destroy a gearbox?

Old 16th October 2013, 07:27 AM

By the way, for ECU it is very difficult to catch MAF not working precisely. Most MAF inaccuracies are not noticed by ECU.
Old 16th October 2013, 01:20 PM

He was saying that as the ECU and the TCU both communicate with each other, when there are even slight deviations in MAF signal it can cause the transmission to shift at the wrong times. This in turn can pass too much torque through the box whilst in the wrong gear and cause excessive wear.

I would guess each gear has a designed operating RPM range and if operated outside those tolerances damage can occur.
Old 16th October 2013, 01:31 PM

I suppose thats possible, but surely the ecu would communicate rpm etc too.

gearboxes are all about rpm and ratio so rpm would be a more logical signal to be sending to gearbox, but i guess load could be something to do with maf/ tps etc.

Just seems weird imo that the maf would screw a gearbox, if you said it killed an engine I could understand that quicker.

So how does one keep an eye on ones Maf? any links to what a good ones like and test procedures?

Old 16th October 2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Could someone please explain to me how a faulty MAF can destroy a gearbox?
MAF values are used for load calculations and torque reduction during gearshifts. If it does not read correct it can cause extra load, stress and wear to gearbox during gearchanges.

That being said lot of failures are caused by faulty seal which fails due to age and thermal cycling. Oil contain conditioners for rubber parts but with age additives in oil wear out and stop conditioning them. Regular oil changes help to keep seals in good condition and last longer.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 16th October 2013, 01:59 PM

The only way you can monitor in that depth is with diagnostic software.

This guy used to work at Audi. He was saying that RS6's had a massive problem with the MAF signals and people were replacing the MAF's periodically as preventative maintenance to help avoid gearbox failure. He knew of somebody who's RS6 box failed, had a new one fitted and within a couple of thousand miles it failed again due to the MAF's as they were overlooked.
Old 16th October 2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
MAF values are used for load calculations and torque reduction during gearshifts. If it does not read correct it can cause extra load, stress and wear to gearbox during gearchanges.

That being said lot of failures are caused by faulty seal which fails due to age and thermal cycling. Oil contain conditioners for rubber parts but with age additives in oil wear out and stop conditioning them. Regular oil changes help to keep seals in good condition and last longer.
That makes total sense, cheers for that.

So any further info how to check a MAF?

Old 16th October 2013, 04:05 PM

If you have VCDS:

http://www.ross-tech.net/vag-com/adv...AF_TechTip.pdf
Old 16th October 2013, 05:20 PM

Gents,

If you replace the MAF is it also worth pulling the ECU fuse to reset everything so it can learn again?