A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 12th May 2014, 02:32 PM

Question front inner tyre wear...?

Hi,

Rather disturbingly, both my fronts are showing a bit of canvas along the inside edges, the rest of the tyres with plenty of tread left.

Just ordered myself a couple or PilotSports to replace them with, but would be keen to understand why they are wearing like this, or is it just a Audi S8 "feature"?

Some of my lower front bushes are quite hard and cracking....would this contibute?

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 12th May 2014, 02:44 PM

They seem to suffer from too much camber on the front, and it isn't adjustable. I over came this by having the toe set IN slightly to compensate and wear right across the tyre.
It could be the arms showing there age or the constant S not set correctly when tracked.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th May 2014, 03:19 PM

As Dezzy has said really - if you're doing a lot of town work it'll make it worse. My fronts lasted about 16k miles and weren't down to the cords - that involved a lot of town driving too. It's definitely worth rotating tyres diagonally if they're replaced as a set of 4. If replacing pairs get the new tyres fitted on the back first and they will last longer once swapped to the front.

Worth getting a proper alignment check done and worn arms will give dynamic changes in suspension setup which won't be picked up on a static alignment so if you know they're shagged it's probably best to get them changed before paying 2 hours labour for an alignment to be done.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th May 2014, 03:44 PM

Question

...so why do whole arms get changed, and not just new bushes pressed in??? How do the arms "wear"? They're solid bit sof metal!

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 12th May 2014, 03:55 PM

You can get the bushes and press them in if you want to. I bought cheap ebay arms and changed them on the drive one side at a time. The bushes i couldn't buy for the price i paid the full set of cheap arms and my press is an engineers vice . So for me i swapped out a side at a time.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th May 2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
...so why do whole arms get changed, and not just new bushes pressed in??? How do the arms "wear"? They're solid bit sof metal!

Zip
By arms worn I mean the bushes - problem is the bill to replace the bushes on existing arms (and risk that balljoints where fitted are worn as well) will be higher in labour than cost of complete replacement arms. Different if you're doing the work yourself but you'll end a hydraulic press I suspect

Have a search for Meyle on here and there's threads about replacement options. Mine's coming up to 60k miles and has had all 4 upper arms done but lower arms are all original still

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 17th January 2015, 08:05 AM

Just been in to replace the rear tyres as they were wearing low especially on the outside edges.

Checked the front tyres and guess what!

Front tyres have 2 to 3mm across the main part of the rubber no problem, very inside edge that you can hardly see just down to the cords!

Arms are all pretty recent so time to up the psi from 36 to 40 and find a good local company to do the alignment (Constant S and I have been reading all about!)

Last edited by Sir WIll; 17th January 2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 17th January 2015, 11:16 AM

My previous S8 was suffering the exact same inside wear on the front tyres, however I new it was misaligned after having some work done. I got a new set of tyres, and a proper alignment at Audi and it didn't do it since. Now the same tyres are on my new S8 and still wearing reasonably evenly.
I don't know how helpful this is.
Old 17th January 2015, 11:20 AM

I certainly would not trust Kwik Fit for the alignment, it would be interesting to know how much Audi charged you to do it?
Old 17th January 2015, 11:26 AM

I had the same problem with my s8 for my first couple of years, and went through several sets of fronts surprisingly quickly. Since then, I've got my local Kwikfit to do the alignment on their Hunter alignment machine every year, and the tyres have been fine since - a worthwhile investment of c.£50 from memory, and I've always found Kwikfit to be excellent.