A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 10th May 2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
the trim on top of the handle came loose. The clip at the front end had lost a component in the past and been bodged with duct tape!
So I then thought - I've got the major part of a full set of interior trims bought from A8parts and including this part sitting unused, so lets look at that and see if it's complete.

I unwrapped it carefully from its bubble wrap packaging (untouched since delivery a while back). And it was bodged in exactly the same way with a bit of duct tape!

Here are the two handbrake trims together. Is this a standard "solution" to a common problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrimBodge.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	8029  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 10th May 2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10th May 2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Presumably someone had been in there doing some work and not pushed it back on properly. (
Or maybe not........
I took off the handgrip and plastic casing and could then see better down into the space. The switch was actually broken so the plugs were connected.

Unfortunately the break is right through and close to where the wiring plugs fit on, so they are now waving around connected to a broken component with exposed conductors which could potentially short out on nearby metal components.
Probably not a major issue as it would at worst turn the warning light on - or would that have other effects if detected by an ECU?

The wiring doesn't seem to have much slack on it but I'll try fishing it out to remove the exposed broken bits of the switch.
One thing is certain, replacing it is a major job.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th May 2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I'll try fishing it out to remove the exposed broken bits of the switch.
Got it!
No idea how this fixes to the main part of the switch though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	contacts.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	8030  
Old 10th May 2014, 08:56 PM

You seem to be having fun with this issue and all the posting. Just thought I would respond to assure you that someone is reading the posts!
I also have a bodged lever trim. I keep meaning to look at a proper solution as it does seem a common failing.
Old 10th May 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Here are the two handbrake trims together. Is this a standard "solution" to a common problem?
I'm not sure that's a common bodge option, but the tiny bit of plastic is intended to be clamped by a pinch bolt through the side of the handbrake mechanism - it's a crap design

The solution Sergey suggested is to get some decent double sided 3M tape and basically stick the 'wood' trim to the top of the handbrake cover. Build it up in layers of tape until it's level with the surrounding trim when the handbrake is off. Job done and doesn't need touching again.

I have a brand new trim sitting on a shelf upstairs (75 quid if memory serves!) but it's not a great colour match to the rest of the matching colour code wood so I didn't fit it.

I imagine John's guide to accessing the switch is the only option for getting to the faulty handbrake sensor but wouldn't think it's too tricky?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 10th May 2014, 10:37 PM

my handbrake trim has been in the glove compartment since shortly after I bought the car, does seem a crap design, but with the armrests down you don't even know its not there. I can confirm Adrian's price as I thought about getting one from Audi as all second hand ones seen to suffer from the same problem, but at £75......naw!!

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 10th May 2014, 10:37 PM

I "think" the duct tape bodge is to stop the tiny bit of plastic vibrating against the pinch bolt. Either that or there should be a rubber pad there which has gone AWOL.
I'm going to glue a small bit of rubber in place of the tape to do that, but as you say it's a rubbish design.
I've glued a suitable rubber pad into the plastic stop under the front of the handbrake lever already and it works well.

As for the broken switch I'm going to try and undo the screw and fish it out through the gap beside the handbrake handle, it looks just about plausible to do that with only the trims on the actual handle removed. With the handbrake pulled on it should all come out forwards underneath the lever as there are now no cables to constrain it.

If I can then repair (or replace) the switch it ought to be possible to connect it to the wiring with a couple of short lengths of cable (with suitable blade connectors on) and then wiggle it back into place and screw it down again.

If anyone wants a handbrake trim in Vavona (I think that's what it is, fairly orange-ish) I have one available at a fair price, though it does have a tiny crack across the top lacquer.
(I've also got all the rest of a full set of Vavona trims apart from the door switch panels - these are just the beige plastic ones I swapped out)

Last edited by HPsauce; 10th May 2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11th May 2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Just thought I would respond to assure you that someone is reading the posts!
Thanks, I actually got some really helpful answers early on but being a persistent type decided to investigate further despite the job appearing too daunting.

Also, I absolutely hate it when you see a forum thread (not here though, or very rarely) where after a selection of constructive answers there is no further response from the questioner. Or worse just a "thanks, all OK now" with no indication of how they actually solved the problem.
If I offer some advice I like to know (constructively) whether it was helpful or another option was actually better, and why.
Old 11th May 2014, 09:28 AM

I've attached some pics of the brand new handbrake trim I've got here so you can compare and see if there's bits missing or not

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030219.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	8032   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030220.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	8033   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030221.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	8034  

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 11th May 2014, 09:43 AM

Thanks Adrian, nothing missing, just extra duct tape "padding" inside the "cup" of that strange downwards protruberance at the front end that gets gripped using the pinch bolt.
As noted, I'm going to "improve" mine by adding a thin piece of rubber instead.

Edit: Done. While I was at it I noticed that the front 2" or so of the lacquered top had been badly scratched by the underside of the drivers armrest.
Brasso, then Silvo and finally furniture polish and it's as good as new. OCD strikes again.

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th May 2014 at 01:18 PM.