A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 11th February 2016, 02:29 PM

Default Dealer quote of €280 to change bulbs..!

Was going to go down the lazy route until I got a quote from a dealer of €280 to change the headlight bulbs.... !!

Why? Because they need to remove the front bumper and the under-trays to get at the bulb. Then they have to realign the lights and put parts back again....

They should be subscribed to this forum!!!

:R OFL:
Old 11th February 2016, 02:36 PM

So you're not having it done then?

And to think some people pay that. I'm in the wrong game, i should be changing bulbs for a living

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 11th February 2016, 02:54 PM

That's almost as good as the £4,000 (no typo, or missing decimal..) that I was quoted to replace the broken circular cap on the centre console on my D2 S8 a couple of years ago. It was fixed in the end with a £10 replacement from A8 Parts of the whole central cartridge

Dealer quote (service supervisor) at the time - "it's an integral part of the whole computer system, so it'll all need to be replaced, and can't be replaced on it's own"

I didn't realise I looked that stupid...
Old 11th February 2016, 03:01 PM

Depends on the model, but some do require headlight removal to get proper access, and some require bumper off before the headlights come out. Even on the V10 I think you can avoid that with removal of airboxes and a bracket or 2 to get to the back of them.

If that cost includes a couple of OEM gas discharge headlights it's actually not that unreasonable. They're usually a fair wack. If that's just labour then it's certainly a bit chunky!

If headlights come out they should always be realigned - had mine done properly after refurbishing the headlights as I'd had them out and in bits!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 11th February 2016, 05:33 PM

Time to move on and use another dealer !
Old 11th February 2016, 07:36 PM

Air boxes out on both sides and also the inner wheel arch. Therefore the wheel too. That then gives plenty of access. Even on the V10. It's not too bad a job...
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O