A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 30th September 2014, 12:37 PM

Default Intake Manifold "delete"

Hi guys,

My intakes are now fixed, but what a load of hassle that was just to put out one light!

As a result of going through this, I've started to reverse engineer the communications between the ECU and the flap motor. Let's just say that they haven't tried to make it easy and they check everything. Even the slightest discrepancy and it throws a fault!

Anyway, if I succeed, I may make a flap motor emulator available commercially, so others can avoid the cost and the hassle.

But first, has anyone seen *any* way to tell the ECU there isn't a flap motor via adaptation or coding? I'd hate to go to all this trouble if it can be done with a tickle of the Vagcom lead!

Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 02:48 PM

Its not the kind of this that can be coded out, your only option is emulate it as you are trying or have a custom map done for your ecu to remove it.

Try digging around Nefmoto to see if someone there can help

Old 9th October 2014, 02:29 PM

My prototype manifold emulator is now working.

If there is interest in these, I may make a batch to sell on, but they could cost around £50 each given the low numbers I'd be buillding.
Old 5th January 2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmind View Post
My prototype manifold emulator is now working.

If there is interest in these, I may make a batch to sell on, but they could cost around £50 each given the low numbers I'd be buillding.
Hello,
Is the offer to make this gadget still valid?
I'd be intrested in one. How will it connect to the system?

Regards,
Dominic
Old 5th January 2016, 11:30 AM

Commercializing this is still on my TODO list and the VW issue means that it might stay there!

However, I do have most of the parts in stock now and I am tempted to make a small batch. I've sourced the connectors that match the ones used to connect to the runner motor, so you just pull the plug, connect my emulator, and get creating with a cable tie or two.

I've been running with two of them in my 3l A8 for a year now with no issues. Performance is unaffected (from what I can tell) and mph is higher. I now regularly see 42mpg or even 44mpg on motorway runs, and I'm not exactly light footed.