Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 16th March 2016, 02:47 PM

Default Vac System / Bellows Armatures

Hi there,

Was investigating a vac system fault

17819 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2
P1411 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - MIL ON

And noticed that one of my vaccum bellows was disconnected. It seems the ball joint had pinged off. I've connected it back again, but it seems a bit sloppy.

Any suggestions ???

Oh and i just found this
http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/44689.phtml

Its the right one of these two. Quite what they are called and how to get a new arm or pod ???
Old 16th March 2016, 03:29 PM

Some of us bought some of these from a member on here, I think it was Nollywood? maybe try sending him a PM to see if he has any left

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 16th March 2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
And noticed that one of my vaccum bellows was disconnected. It seems the ball joint had pinged off.
The question would have to be - why?
Check that the flaps actuated by these are moving freely. No point in replacing the actuator arm if the flap is stuck causing it to come off again or break.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th March 2016, 04:19 PM

HPsauce - I managed to move the bellows by hand without much effot. There was a bit of corosion on the metal bracket which is now lubed.

I've left the cover off so I can keep an eye on it. The ball joint clip thing seemed very easy to press on!

BTW are they the same as my old D2 FL S8 ones as I have a dead one of those arround which could be used for spares
Old 24th March 2016, 12:04 PM

Hi There,

The bellows, arm and linkage on the 40v FL S8 is identical as the my 4.2 D3 A8

Since it was two nuts to remove them whole and that reduced the chance of the ball linkage getting sloppy and gave me a chance to check what the flap was like it seemed the right way to go. The flap has a little resistance moving from one state to another, but was free with it. Seemed a positive movement rather than tottally loose (potentially broken) so i took that as a reasonable sign. I did put some lube in and worked it, same with cleaning up the old belows and the arms. Watching the engine now it's fitted and it moves corectly!

And as for the drive. WOW. I wasn't expecting much but it's really freed up the engine. I'd felt that despite on paper the 4.2 D3 being a touch better than the D2 FL S8 it was rather lackluster. It had power but it delivered it in a wafting ease, rather than any slam. A gentle grace despite a heavy foot.
That's changed it's much more pick a speed and you're there that I loved of my old beast. Back to accidentally breaking the speed limit on an overtake!

Looking at the quattrow world post, it was the bottom flap and due to the spring, it would have always been in the mid band mode which tallies with what i've noticed. A slightly odd way to design it since the majority of the time you are going to be lower than 3360rpm, so i'd have expected Stage one to be the default sprung setting!

Lee
Old 1st May 2016, 05:38 PM

For actuator link compatibility:

D2 S8 40V and D3 A8 4.2 V8 40V----same links (short) for dual-stage intake.

D2 A8 3.7 / 4.2 V8 40V and D3 A8 3.7 V8 40V----same links (long) for 3-stage intake.

Further useful information:

D2 S8 40V and D3 A8 4.2 V8 40V----dual-stage intke actuators operated by a single solenoid, T-piece splitter for both bellows.

D2 A8 3.7 / 4.2 V8 40V and D3 A8 3.7 V8 40V----3-stage intake actuators operated by 2 solenoids, 1 independent, the other with a T-piece.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.