A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 26th April 2016, 07:31 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've never seen one of these pumps before. Certainly seems like a good idea for a quick and easy oil change, but don't you still need to get underneath for the filter?

Looks like the Lidl unit is also available badged as a Clarke unit:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...d-diesel-pump/

Presumably this is technically equivalent too:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIESEL-FLUI...dp/B00ZWTOZ4Q/
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 26th April 2016, 07:34 AM

The oil filter housing is on top of the engine mate. You can see it between the V here:

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 26th April 2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 26th April 2016, 07:49 AM

I had to remove over-filled oil from my car and this would've been ideal - ended up doing it with a Calpol syringe (5ml!) and a length of screen washer repair pipe from Halfords! Took me flippin' ages to drain a litre out!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th April 2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I had to remove over-filled oil from my car and this would've been ideal - ended up doing it with a Calpol syringe (5ml!) and a length of screen washer repair pipe from Halfords! Took me flippin' ages to drain a litre out!
Ha. That sounds painful. Bet you needed the Calpol afterwards.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 26th April 2016, 07:57 AM

You can't buy syringes from chemists any bigger these days - needed a vets ideally, or to have ordered one off ebay to do it. It was Sunday so I just wanted it done....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th April 2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I've never seen one of these pumps before. Certainly seems like a good idea for a quick and easy oil change, but don't you still need to get underneath for the filter?

Looks like the Lidl unit is also available badged as a Clarke unit:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...d-diesel-pump/

Presumably this is technically equivalent too:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIESEL-FLUI...dp/B00ZWTOZ4Q/
Us petrol owners still have to crawl under to do the oil filter...

I did buy from from Amazon. Although not the model you've linked, mine is exactly the same as the Lidl unit. Think I paid £23'ish. Amazons customer service came in handy when after 5 months my pump packed in (my fault, I did an hour long heater matrix flush cycle) and Amazon sent another unit free.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 26th April 2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
The oil filter housing is on top of the engine mate. You can see it between the V here:
Ah! I can see now why a pump makes a lot more sense on that engine.

Didn't realise there were engines with such accessible oil filters to be honest. All the cars I've owned have had filters down near the sump.

My S8's filter is pretty inaccessible without a ramp, so I guess a pump wouldn't save me any time.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 26th April 2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Us petrol owners still have to crawl under to do the oil filter...
Ah, so it's a petrol/diesel thing? Why is that? That'll explain why I've never had a vehicle with filter up on top though.

I did own a diesel a long time ago (a '91 BX). Don't remember that being any different, but that was an early diesel. I guess we're talking about modern, direct injection diesels.

Cars Owned:

Old 26th April 2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Ah, so it's a petrol/diesel thing? Why is that? That'll explain why I've never had a vehicle with filter up on top though.

I did own a diesel a long time ago (a '91 BX). Don't remember that being any different, but that was an early diesel. I guess we're talking about modern, direct injection diesels.
It'll just be a packaging issue I suspect. It's where it'll fit rather than how accessible it is! The modern V8 petrols won't have space there as there's 2 turbos in that space....

Old 26th April 2016, 07:05 PM

All the BMW petrols and diesels are on top and in a cannister, even since the 1970s. It must just be engineer's choice.
Johnmed, what does your oil filter lid say on it, I can only read half of it - mine is plain/blank.