A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 12th May 2015, 10:28 AM

Default Gearbox Filter ?

Just curious is there any savings by buying the gearbox filter and or kit for my 2002 S8 anywhere other than from Audi ? Anyone even know the prices or part numbers off the top of their head ?

Also do I remember reading on here that there are two different filters or am I dreaming ?

Thx !!!!!
Old 12th May 2015, 11:07 AM

IIRC there are two different lengths of filter, you need to get the right one obviously.
I left it to my garage to get the parts, which I think was from Audi.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th May 2015, 11:54 AM

Accdording to Mackie's - theres 2 options.
One has the filter tray 2mm deeper than the other one. If the incorrect one is fitted, the box can be starved of oil and ruined. (Heard a horror story from the parts guy at mackies - someone had put the wrong filter on a box that they serviced and Mackies got the car in with the after effects)
You need the gearbox serial number to ensure the correct one
Old 1st June 2015, 10:49 AM

I really should read the forum stickies before asking some questions. All info needed there !!!! Sorry !!!!!!

Parts Needed
01L-325-429-A Filter (see note below)
01L-325-443 Filter to Transmission Gasket/O-Ring
01L-321-371 Pan Gasket
01V-321-379 Fill Plug Sealing Washer
G-052-162-A2 ATF Fluid (have 8-9 quarts on hand, you might use a little less), use ONLY Audi fluid

NOTE: 01L-325-429 is the filter part number for model year 1997 A8's that came with a type DPZ transmission with a serial number of 001891 or less.

01L-325-429-A is for all 1997 A8's with DPZ transmissions with serial numbers greater than 001892, DSM type transmissions and DTE transmissions. The DTE transmission was supplied on later 97's and all 98-03 A8's.

The transmission nameplate can be found on the bottom of the transmission just forward of the pan.