A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 13th August 2020, 03:58 AM

Default Fault code 00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation

I'm slowly picking away at my stored codes. Most are gone, cleaning both wheel sensors fixed my "gear recognition" code, this one remains. I do have two disconnected wires in the trunk, comming from the wiring at the rear/left. They're just laying in the rear of the trunk comming from the left side, they have spade connectors on them and run about half the width of the trunk. Can someone tell me where these are supposed to go? Thanks

00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52): Open Circuit
Possible Symptoms
Navigation System not working
Possible Causes
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52) faulty
Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)
Check/Replace Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)
Old 13th August 2020, 06:56 AM

Red/yellow and brown, should go to the nav control unit.
Old 13th August 2020, 08:33 AM

The GPS antenna cable does not have spade connectors in it!
It's a (thin) shielded coaxial cable and you also wouldn't find it meandering through the boot (trunk).

It sounds like someone's been trying to wire an accessory of some sort in, but heavens only knows what.

You can buy standard GPS antennae very cheaply that can connect straight to the back of the RNS and be placed anywhere convenient.
If you don't have a heated windscreen anywhere around the edge (inside) will probably work.
Just make sure you get the powered (not passive) type - the voltage is supplied up the coax cable without extra wiring.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 13th August 2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 13th August 2020, 11:23 AM

Antenna? Ok they aren't that long... only about 14" long actually. Def part of the orginal wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 3.43.41 AM.png
Views:	412
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	23727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 3.44.10 AM.png
Views:	359
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	23728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 3.44.51 AM.png
Views:	388
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	23729  
Old 13th August 2020, 11:52 AM

The error messages you posted were all about the antenna, hence my comments. Your diagram does show the coax cable to the aerial, which this obviously isn't.

Could be power supply cables, do you have the separate older "text" Nav unit in the boot then, rather than the graphic RNS version? Someone here may know about that, I don't.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th August 2020, 12:10 AM

Yes, text only version. That red/yel brn pair of wires showing in the pics are where they're supposed to be, the loose ones are obviously for something else. Looking at schematic again now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200813_162153.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	23732   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200813_162205.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	528.2 KB
ID:	23733  
Old 14th August 2020, 08:44 AM

Those two wires are for one of the boot lights which is in the plastic panel at the back edge of the boot.

Pic borrowed from our sponsors:

The light is on the right of the panel in the picture, obviously on the left when looking in the boot.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 14th August 2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 14th August 2020, 09:06 AM

Ohhhh. Thank you, MikkiJayne.
Old 14th August 2020, 09:48 AM

A picture paints a thousand words.

So you may well soon have a working boot light, but the GPS problem presumably persists. What connector is on the aerial lead?
I'd obtain a cheap GPS aerial "puck", connect it in place of the OEM one and see what transpires. Just hang it over the side of the car for testing.

When I had to replace the faulty aerial (on my old PF S8 many years ago pre A8parts even?) I placed mine outside at the bottom of the rear screen.
It worked a treat and you wouldn't know it was there unless told (see photo). The wires were routed under the boot lid seal.
With the RNS-C (yes really!) I had on that car wiring it in wasn't that easy, but with your boot-mounted unit it should be pretty simple.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GPSaerial.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	23734  

Last edited by HPsauce; 14th August 2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 14th August 2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel155 View Post
cleaning both wheel sensors fixed my "gear recognition" code
Just going back on that one, be prepared for that error to reappear and the wheel sensors not being the actual cause or cleaning them the cure .....
The more typical reason for this code to appear is early signs of a failing F125 switch.

Last edited by HPsauce; 14th August 2020 at 04:30 PM.