A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 5th August 2020, 08:15 PM

Default Has anyone....

Any experience with after market catalysts? The flexible joint on mine is starting to look decidedly second hand...As are the pipe to Manifold studs which are definitely going to go “ping” the moment I even look at them with a spanner

I’m going to need a new one at some point In the near future, but are aftermarket units actually capable of passing the MoT emissions test?

I’ve put a request in to the forum sponsors for a unit if they have one but there are some attractively priced new units out in the big wide world. However there’s no point getting a new one if the catalyst parts are ineffective. So do off the shelf pattern parts work? Or do I avoid them like the plague? Answers on a postcard.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 5th August 2020, 10:31 PM

I've had sports cats on mine for around 9 years, they pass MOT fine but they do throw the EML light occasionally, easily sorted with a cheap code reader from Ebay

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 6th August 2020, 08:00 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I think David’s has aftermarket sports cats as well and he also has the EML light issue. But, IIRC, the fitter can put in little spacers for the sensors to take them out of the flow of the exhaust and this, apparently, stops the light coming on. One of my cats is starting to rattle, so I’m interested to see how you get on
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 6th August 2020, 09:10 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I had after-market sports cats fitted a couple of years ago too. Audi quoted £2,500 for a pair of OE cats (not inc. fitting) when my old cats first started rattling. And by the time the rattle had gotten much worse, just a few months later, the OE cats were NLA, so I had no choice but to look at alternatives. I decided to go for a custom stainless steel exhaust in the end, complete with after-market cats. More info here:
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14489

I've had no problem with the exhaust passing MOTs -- I believe the important thing is that the cats should be 'E' marked/approved, which mine are. I do have to occasionally reset the EML (usually after being stuck in slow moving traffic for a long time), but I can do that by the roadside in seconds using my phone and OBDeleven device. It's a slight annoyance but a fairly rare occurrence.

It's worth noting also that you may be able to sell your old cats to a recycler, even if they're badly rattling (like mine were). I got £220 (£110 each) for mine.

EDIT: Zaustworx video of my car attached below:

And this should be a direct link to my car on Zaustworx's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ZaustworxCu...9764221425173/
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 ZaustworxVideo.mp4 (521.5 KB, 370 views)
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 6th August 2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 6th August 2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@fink View Post
Any experience with after market catalysts? The flexible joint on mine is starting to look decidedly second hand...As are the pipe to Manifold studs which are definitely going to go “ping” the moment I even look at them with a spanner

I’m going to need a new one at some point In the near future, but are aftermarket units actually capable of passing the MoT emissions test?

I’ve put a request in to the forum sponsors for a unit if they have one but there are some attractively priced new units out in the big wide world. However there’s no point getting a new one if the catalyst parts are ineffective. So do off the shelf pattern parts work? Or do I avoid them like the plague? Answers on a postcard.
Good running engine should pass emissions even without cats, obviously cats are required by the rules so would still fail MOT even if it passes emissions test

If the cats are I would just cut out flexi piece and weld a new one in. Cheaper and you get to keep original cats.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 6th August 2020, 10:02 AM

I am pretty sure an FL D2 won't pass the age-appropriate appropriate emissions test without cats - I've tried it. Big Red (2002) has the pre-cats only which keep the ECU happy, but needs to be roasting hot to pass just barely within spec without the main cats. Ditto Mike's 4.2 Allroad (2005?), which also has pre-cats so no EML, but empty cans for the main cats. That missed the limits by a sizeable margin IIRC so we're fitting some Magnaflow E-marked cats to it before its MoT. Both of those engines are in good health and running well.

An early PF might pass without cats I guess, although I think it still supposed to have them.
Old 6th August 2020, 10:18 AM

An exhaust/Cat fitting business suggested to me a few years ago that probably the most economic way out of this issue was to replace the dead cats with a couple of E marked aftermarket items for a 2.0L Mondeo!
1988 UR quattro
2003 A2 FSi Sport
2020 Seat Leon Cupra R ST Abt
1989 911 Carrera Cab
Couple of Mk1 Golf Gti's (in bits)
Old 6th August 2020, 11:26 AM

A quick search suggests that would be 55mm diameter so would work ok for the 2.8 or 3.7, but would be a bit small for the S8 which is 60mm.
Old 6th August 2020, 11:48 AM

One of my pet subjects, this......

There's a thread on here about the reconditioning of my OEM cats, by a German company, using metal substrate cats that are better than OEM quality. Cost to refurb 2 was less than one OEM cat (when they were available),but it is a bit of a mission to do.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ight=converter

The vast majority of low end replacement cats are designed to have a life of x2 MOTs - the one it just failed that's forcing you to replace the cats, plus the next one to scrape through, so the warranty on the cat has expired before what little precious metal has actually stuck to the poorly made substrate from India has gone astray. This assumes the washcoat was actually up to spec in the first place, and that the company that made it did proper 'worst case' testing amongst the 500-odd models the cat itself can be canned to work on.....

The only exception to this is German 'Blauer Engel' parts, which you'll struggle to get in the UK as the market favours the £200 options over the near-OEM level parts.

The issue with 'sports cats' is that they're usually a low cell count in order to make them more free flowing. They could work, if only they made them with sufficient wash coat to counter the more free flowing nature. They do a job, but basically the dodge ref spacing out the lambda sensors is so the probe isn't 'sniffing' as instantaneously as the ECU would like, so it then misses the spikes in emissions that the cats can't deal with.

The UN regs need re-writing to make aftermarket products closer in quality to OEM, but for the moment the race is to the bottom in terms of price and therefore quality....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 6th August 2020, 08:13 PM

Sports cats might be a slight excess for a 2.8 Without the impending MoT emission test I couldn’t say the cat is ok but it passed the last test ok and it’s only done a few thousand miles since then. The flexi is the impending failure however, it has lost all its wire reenforcement and is definitely looking in serious distress at the rear joint. No dice with forum sponsors so it looks like a journey into replacement land. Only way to find out if a weld in flexi section is a go is to remove the cat (which then needs new manifold studs because they are eroded to nothing) and go from there. But the price of a “cheap” replacement and the fact it’s all coming off for a flexi might just make throwing a new one at it and seeing what happens the easier option! Or I could just hope the old one just hangs on....it’s lasted 20 odd years...right?

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids