A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Everything Else

D4 - Everything Else Holding forum for all D4 banter until membership grows and we'll expand out

Old 6th April 2016, 08:17 AM

To enable the tourist solution at Dover or Calais with VCDS...

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 6th April 2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Yes you need online services for it to work properly, I had it in my A7 and with a permanent sim card in the dash. It downloads about 20-30 miles of detailed mapping information at a time in tranches and then uses that to do things like change the lights to point in the other direction if you have travelled across the channel. It also holds gears on the s tronic gearbox because it can then tell that certain bends are coming up ahead and there wouldn't be any reason to change up. It also used to feed into the cornering lights etc I think
that is amazing, so the online services do quite a lot including changing the lights over automatically, but can the lights be adjusted manually from the mmi if you dont have the services. or maybe can be activated with vcds
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 6th April 2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
To enable the tourist solution at Dover or Calais with VCDS...
im missing out, what tourist solution?
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 6th April 2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
im missing out, what tourist solution?
Tourist solution is the setting in VCDS you enable to flatten the light pattern for use on the other side of the road. It takes seconds. I think the earlier D3s have a manual lever on the lights. It would be nice if they had the feature on the MMI.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 6th April 2016, 08:31 AM

oh yes, i think i have the lever that you cant get to without taking the engine out

its a little feature but it would be really nice to have it. i did see the port for the extra sim card, i thought it was either phone or wifi hotspot, probably does those as well.

do you switch these online services on and off, it sounds like it uses a lot of data to be left on perfectly

Old 6th April 2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
what do you need the laptop for?
You can switch the lights to "tourist option" using VCDS on the D3
Old 6th April 2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
that is amazing, so the online services do quite a lot including changing the lights over automatically, but can the lights be adjusted manually from the mmi if you dont have the services. or maybe can be activated with vcds
The last D4 i had 2013 sport had the gps function too which can gives info to the gearbox and lights etc. I am sure as well as gps control the one i have now has a manual function on the mmi as well to change to driving abroad and i think the last d4 with Leds did too, i will have a look today and take a picture of the screen and post it up mate
Cant say enough about the matrix lights though they are such an amazing bit of kit .
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 6th April 2016, 09:10 AM

would love the matrix lights, buying a D4 is a compormise, its difficult enough finding one with all the options you want, specially as the dealers put the fully loaded and great spec on everything and then list almost nothing.

means you have to phone up and ask about everything you want over and over, its quite tedious.

then if you find one you have to make it there before everyone else, chances of it being local are quite low too.

Old 6th April 2016, 09:40 AM

Totally agree mate
I Had the same issue looking for mine and the one before.
I like the sport models as they come with a good standard spec to start with, the seats are superb i cant put up with the standard ones they dont give enough thigh support imo. But when i started looking for a 4.2 finding a sport short wheel base was bloody hard, i could only find 4 and the price differences were eye watering. Audi also had started supplying the lwb in sport spec later in the model run.
As for the fully loaded adverts the sodding dealers dont have a clue, although occassionally that can work in your favour if they dont know the value of certain options. I even contacted Audi for a spec breakdown on my car and they got it all wrong. Missing off things that i knew were fitted and were options.
The only good news i had was it mentioned a service pack, so after a bit of digging i discovered the car has the optional service pack so all paid for for the next three years....no one told me though and i had to contact vw financial services to sort out the change of owner....and the previous owner was Audi uk !

I just set a minimum spec i will accept and anything else is a bonus. Sadly most D4's i saw seem to have a fairly basic spec where the dealers have been just registered cars for their sales targets, where the D3 was often well spec'd. And the poverty spec ones are not easy to move on when the time comes. Again just my oppinion.
Cheers
Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 6th April 2016, 11:04 AM

just seen a clip on you tube about the online services, though it focused mostly on google earth. it was an audi video and they seem to be saying you can only use it with an audi SIM , is that right or can you find the best deal data card