A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 26th October 2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
The unit which qualifies for D2 installation is '193 B' or '193 C' from A3 cars with transplanted A6 faceplate. Hardware version should be below or equal to H04
How easy are they to find, and would you risk buying a standard A3 one without the right faceplate and transplant that later?
What do you need for the basics, apart from the standard RNS-D to RNS-E "kit" of wiring adapters?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th October 2013, 07:38 PM

You will need standard RNS-D --> RNS-E conversion kit.

Plus Bluetooth phone, plus AMI, plus TV tuner + rear view camera + MFSW +....
They will all have plug and play harnesses (sometimes available separately, sometimes included), but you may need to merge harnesses into one as daisy chaining them will occupy all free space behind the unit.

Everything is very easy to find if money is not an issue.

To begin with, we have guys from Lithuania who sell "193 B" units (the B unit is without SDS, so it needs to be software cracked later to enable SDS). These A3 units come with already transpalned A6 faceplate. You only need to cut the faceplate -- I recommend 3M sandpaper. Here's the unit (make sure hardware is below or equal to H04 when you buy):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261125674021

Don't gorget to request glossy frame from newer "193 G" unit when you order and double check HW version is 04 or lower.

When unit arrives downgrade software to 150, code it for A6 and for all the options you have in your car (bluetooth, phone, MFSW, AMI, reversing camera, etc. etc.) and then upgrade software back to 220. These units can only be coded for A6 under SW150. Later software doesn't accept A6 coding.

I personally purchased A3 unit and swapped faceplate myself (I had A6 faceplate and another A6 faceplate cut for A8). Procedure is here: http://www.nwquattro.com/forums/index.php?topic=16402.0
Took about 3+ hours, but not rocket science.

Because A6 faceplates are rare the delta in cost between A3 unit and A3 unit with A6 faceplate is £100 - £150. But everything is available. Except A6 faceplates sold separately. They are difficult to find and can be prohibitively expensive. Don't buy A3 unit unless you already have A6 faceplate.

I know it sounds confusing when you read all this first time.
Old 26th October 2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Don't buy A3 unit unless you already have A6 faceplate.
OK, that's very helpful.
Quote:
I know it sounds confusing when you read all this first time.
No, quite clear, though I have no idea what's involved in some of the steps, e.g.:
How do you downgrade to 150 and what do you need?
Coding for A6, can you do that with VCDS or is it something else?
Obviously, how also do you upgrade to 220.
If you want SDS, how & when do you "crack" it?

That A6 unit you've linked to doesn't specify a model or hardware version, but is it likely to be a 193B (which will need confirming obviously) and if it is won't it already be coded to A6 as that's what it's listed for?
Or is there a problem if it's set up for options that aren't there on my car?

Though to be honest, I still really need to sort out my RNS-D. Mustn't get "carried away".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th October 2013, 09:48 PM

>> How do you downgrade to 150 and what do you need?

In RNS-E set adaptation channel 97 to 1 (allow downgrades) and insert year 2010 DVD which comes with 150 software. There are separate CDs/DVDs with just software.

>> Coding for A6, can you do that with VCDS or is it something else?

VCDS. Just a simple coding.

>> Obviously, how also do you upgrade to 220.

In RNS-E set adaptation channel 97 to 0 and insert year 2013 DVD which comes with 220 software. There is cracked 220 software with SDS. Again, special DVD.

>> If you want SDS, how & when do you "crack" it?

You need to pay some crooks for the crack. Or ask me nicely.
The crack looks like an upgrade disk from SW510 to SW220.

>> That A6 unit you've linked to doesn't specify a model or hardware version,
>> but is it likely to be a 193B (which will need confirming obviously)

They didn't specify that. They just know that only "193 B" units will work with A6 cars.

>> and if it is won't it already be coded to A6 as that's what it's listed for?

It almost is impossible to guess coding for your particular car config from 1st attempt.
For instance, Ross Tech RNS-E coding site has some bugs:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index..._System_(RNS-E)
Coding for AMI is xxxxx2x where as Ross Tech claims it is "Digital-Radio installed" and so on.

And you will need to re-code every time you upgrade something...

>> Or is there a problem if it's set up for options that aren't there on my car?

There is no problem, it will just throw errors and instrument cluster can throw error too. Coding of all modules should be 'in synch'

Last edited by notorious; 27th October 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 26th October 2013, 10:05 PM

This "193 B" A3 unit already comes with glossy frame from newer units "193 G" unit and A6 faceplate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251181473306

And this is rare "193 C" unit that comes with native SDS in EEPROM. It doesn't require software cracking to enable SDS each time software is upgarded.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-ME...item485b9e1733

Last edited by notorious; 27th October 2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 27th October 2013, 07:55 AM

Sadly though the 193C has the wrong faceplate.
And the glossy unit is advertised as a "G" which would presumably be incompatible if correct, not just a "G" surround.
Old 27th October 2013, 08:10 AM

RNS-E part numbers explanation:

http://audiforum.us/threads/audi-a3-...-numbers.6850/

>> And the glossy unit is advertised as a "G"
>> which would presumably be incompatible if correct, not just a "G" surround.

Well spotted. This all needs to be confirmed with seller. It may well mean 193 B with G faceplate.

The key thing is HW version 04 or below.

It seems Audi started to cuts costs with newer HW and removed backward compatibility from newer models.
Old 27th October 2013, 08:53 AM

Sergey

This didn't cross my mind until last night - is the bluetooth module (genuine Audi) the same for old and newer versions of RNS-E?

If they are compatible with the same units, are there any which have more functionality for the newer unit only?

Just wondering if I'd need to swap my factory bluetooth module or if an upgrade is worth considering in any case!

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 27th October 2013, 09:16 AM

I use my legacy Audi bluetooth. I think Audi didn't change them with introduction of RNS-E 2010+. Check with ETKA. My bluetooth is 8P1 862 335 hardware H41.
Old 28th October 2013, 10:40 AM

Sergey, is it easier to just by a A6 RNS-E? or are they very rare?