A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 25th July 2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Keep shopping around Ray, I don't think there's anything happening to drive premiums up - in fact, I got told by Admiral I'd get a Covid refund because of their lower claims incidence .

Unless you've had one of those fancy black boxes fitted, but are still driving at your "preferred" speeds .....

Sorry for the delay in answering, I had a funeral yesterday in Evesham, another day in the office.

Steve, what speeds are you alluding to? I'll have you know that I am a very sedate driver. Only break speed limits by a tiny liddle bit, honest Guv.
And no black box fitted.

Only change in circumstances that I know of is that some buggers gave me an 80th birthday party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I paid the £600 odd last year 'cos I was busy and didn't have time or inclination to shop around. I'd been with Zurich but they wouldn't insure me when I reached 80 so ended up with GA. Bloody frustrating when I still have my full bus licence and I don't have any problems with the bus insurance. It's just my personal car I'm having trouble with.
If it's agism I might register the car in my son's name then insure him as registered user with me as an added driver.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 25th July 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Interestingly I was with LV on a multi car. When the renewal came up I did a comparison on each car separately. Saved £340 over LVs quote. When I spoke to them they were unwilling to drop it anywhere near the three separate quotes!
Now I'm with Sheila's Wheels and Tesco.

Tesco quoted £1,254.23
Sheila's wheels quote £3,101.71
Privilege couldn't quote at all.

I don't think they want to insure me.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 25th July 2020, 12:26 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Have you tried Direct Line, Ray?

I went with DL for the Tesla after getting stupidly high quotes from comparison sites. I believe DL choose not to cooperate with comparison sites, so you need to contact them directly for a quote, but they're usually quite competitive.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 25th July 2020, 12:35 PM

Do you declare yourself as "retired" or PSV/HGV driver, Ray?
Old 25th July 2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
You might have something there. I remember Gwen changed me to chaufer because retired was high some15 years back. Thanks.

Mark, I'll try DL.
If I mention your name do you think they'll only charge double?

Old 25th July 2020, 02:55 PM

Mine seems to be the opposite - multicar is always cheaper for me. I extensively search tje market every year and most single policies are much more expensive than my multicar quote. Renewal tends to always go up a bit (apart from 2 years ago) but a quick call brings it down to similar levels of the previous year. This is with Admiral btw.

I do agree the whole car insurance scene is a scam. I'm sure it was being looked in to a few years back by the governing bodies, doesn't seem like anything came of it.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 25th July 2020, 02:59 PM

Just had my renewal from Privilege and it's gone from £255 to £289. Ray Privilege are same peeps as Direct Line, but also worth an enquiry as they seem to operate independently.
Old 25th July 2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
You might have something there. I remember Gwen changed me to chaufer because retired was high some15 years back. Thanks.
I expect this could make the biggest difference. Also I read somewhere that entering very low annual mileage can increase the premiums too.

I used to put my job down as accountant as it's close to what I do, but after entering it as data-coordinator it reduced significantly!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 26th July 2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
The problem is all these insurance companies just make up their own rules, so the details you give one company will result in a high premium, yet with another company will be significantly less.

I ran into this issue with my own insurer (been with the same one since 2012, as no one can better their price). I started a thread about it a while back.

Since taking it out in 2012, I listed my occupation as 'unemployed'. That was fine until a couple of years back when I noticed that the renewal details had me listed as 'retired'. The renewal cost at the time was around £350-£375 approximately, and when I asked them to correct their details (as I never told them I was retired, and they'll use any excuse not to pay out... i.e. false information), they told me it would cost an additional £75... because as 'retired' I would be driving less!

Fast forward to when I got the S8 and decided to change the insurance on the D2 so that the mileage would drop from 10,000 to 2,000 per year. The result was 'no change' in premium, which contradicts their pricing policy based on driving less makes you less likely to have an accident so should be less of a liability, and hence lower premiums.

As to what Ray said (even if he said it in jest), I think these companies are being ageist. We all know the sorts of vehicles Ray drives in his capacity as a bus driver, and he has no issues with insurance on that side, so why would driving a 5m long car be so different?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 26th July 2020, 12:46 PM

Direct Line quote £968.08
Coming down but what a stupidly high price.
The coaches I drive are alone worth over £300,000, then the passengers ? ? ? ? ?