A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 29th April 2019, 07:46 PM

Default With a heavy heart, and all that stuff...

I'm toying with the idea of selling my Audi A8L (2000 model year, facelift) - reg A8 LFO

169K miles
5HP24A gearbox rebuilt at 145K, cost £3,000
Lowered with quattro sports suspension
FE 20" wheels
Full front suspension rebuild last year, £1850
Timing belt. etc done at the same time, and air con serviced.

I love this car but a recent fuel pump issue had resulted in me spending £1350 so far, but it runs out of fuel at the 3rd segment mark on the gauge. New pump, new seal kit at £120 to no avail. This is essentially a tentative query to see how much people on the forum think the car is worth so please be honest.

On the other hand, I'm also prepared for people to plead with me to keep it lol
Old 29th April 2019, 08:22 PM

Your best and possibly cheapest option is to book it in with MJ. Sounds like the well known tank/pump problem.
Old 29th April 2019, 08:41 PM

I would counter that 'best and cheapest option' is just to keep it full of fuel

All the usual stuff which would be done for this problem has already been done so this is something new to me. Prestige suggested replacing the tank on the basis that there's a collapsed hose inside, but that's quite a large undertaking. I'm going to have to drop the tank on Big Red soon as she runs out of fuel completely randomly, but also appears to have a vapour leak on the top of the tank. I'd be quite keen to have a good look inside and see what potential hose issues there may be, but alas my calendar is full until the winter which doesn't help much
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:35 PM

I agree with MJ keep it full and a jerry can in the boot!

Second hand value will be irritatingly low. You can get a reasonable runner for a few grand and most people like stock too.

With a potential big cost fault it's going to cripple the price for people wanting to just run the car and the collectors won't give it much of a look.

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:35 AM

LPG conversion will solve the tank issue

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 6th May 2019, 11:33 AM

No John! You cannot sell her

We all get a little disheartened at times but you must persevere. You would miss her too much. Take some time out (not too much!) and you will get the love bug back again.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 11th July 2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I would counter that 'best and cheapest option' is just to keep it full of fuel

All the usual stuff which would be done for this problem has already been done so this is something new to me. Prestige suggested replacing the tank on the basis that there's a collapsed hose inside, but that's quite a large undertaking. I'm going to have to drop the tank on Big Red soon as she runs out of fuel completely randomly, but also appears to have a vapour leak on the top of the tank. I'd be quite keen to have a good look inside and see what potential hose issues there may be, but alas my calendar is full until the winter which doesn't help much
Did you drop the tank in the end? I also had a vapour leak, from the offside after a muppet replaced the fuel pump, ran out at a quarter as you know. I tried reseating the whole assembly and posted about it here at the time. It's a mare of a job and I really struggled, not sure if its because you end up off your face, but ans posted the procedure and followed to the word the 3rd time i did it and it was a more positive click when in. Still ran out at a quarter and I wonder now if a hose was ruined by the previous ettempts.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:09 PM

Default JG's latest...

I'm sure MJ will be along in a minute to comment on 'Big Red' but with regard to my own situation, I've just resigned myself to keeping 'Helga' filled to the brim. If I do something about the fuel tank problem eventually, it looks like I will have to wait for some ramp time down in deepest Devon to get this fixed hopefully once and for all. After all the work that has been done already (new fuel pump fitted, and then a new set of fuel tank/pump seals), I would tend to agree that it must be one of the hose links at fault in the petrol tank assembly itself.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:56 PM

Big Red is currently hibernating in darkerest Devon while I get all the current work out of the way, so I haven't touched the tank yet. Chances are I will swap the tank from one of the parts cars, and if that helps I'll cut open the duff one to see what was going on. That's a while away though...
Old 12th July 2019, 01:05 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
I'm sure MJ will be along in a minute to comment on 'Big Red' but with regard to my own situation, I've just resigned myself to keeping 'Helga' filled to the brim.
I drove mine like that for a few years (before eventually replacing the entire tank and pump with a used one from A8Parts). You should be ok down to half a tank at least. I usually refilled when the gauge was showing slightly less than half a tank, which was still probably a good 50 miles or so from 'running out'.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust