A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > Other Audis

Other Audis All other Audi related chat

Old 7th June 2012, 01:28 PM

Default 4mth old A5 Vs. 14yrold S8

I have been perambulating about in the A5 s line 3.0 tdi cabriolet that has been supplied as a courtesy car. Are all modern "premium" Interiors like this? The seats are hard and leather feels nasty. The steering wheel is titchy and very light. The gearbox is nearly as jerky and hesitant as our S8's. There is power but you have to poke it quite hard to get it to go. I would not buy one of these after a test drive.

Buttons feel nice though, handbrake is not as stupid as some I've used and I do like the electronics. very easy to use.

Those who own or have owned both modern and elderly Audis, are you of the same opinion? I was just surprised that it was a £40-50k car. I now miss my S8 more and am very surprised by how good what I believed to be a tired barge felt in comparison.

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.

Last edited by billblank; 7th June 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: missiing question mark
Old 7th June 2012, 07:29 PM

probably more accountants involved now than 14 years ago

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 7th June 2012, 07:44 PM

I have owned new audis and sold my q7 to get back in bed with a c5 avant again.......do I regret this? NO I love her, just enough electronics to make her modern enough for every day but not so much that I am not in control oh and build quality is better as well just wish petrol prices were the same as when I first brought my new c6 avant as the rs6 is a lot thirstier than a 2.8 qs!
Old 7th June 2012, 11:28 PM

I figured that some of the materials are due to the need to weather proof it 'cos it's a cabrio. Did 120 miles in it today, got left hanging going for a gap out of junctions twice. Spoilt by the S i guess, NA rules, er, my homies.

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 9th June 2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billblank View Post
I have been perambulating about in the A5 s line 3.0 tdi cabriolet that has been supplied as a courtesy car.
My neighbour currently has a newish S5 as a courtesy car, while his well-loved Porsche is being fixed (rear-ended by a "blind" white van while turning into our road ). His other half is also quite a petrolhead - her "daily" is a big 20+ years old Mercedes Coupe (560 maybe?) but she drives the Porsche and they also have a Caterham.

Anyway, they don't really like the S5, saying "well it all works and has some nice toys" but "it's rather boring".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th June 2012, 10:36 PM

Either it's massively restricted or it's crap. Turbo lag is driving me up the wall. just how heavy is this heap?

Wifey loves it, went to dinner with friends, my teetotalism continues so I drove. Top down there and back was funish but I really want the S back. Huge torques but not a driving car, much flapping of paddles if you want it on the boil.
to my shame I am enjoying driving a new car though. Was outside the resteraunt having a post dinner fag when a Couple exited and gave my oikish self a disgusted look. they vacated their parking space in their 08 plate a4 and then their mouths formed perfect "O"s when I nipped into it in the 12 plate one. pathetic I know but it gave me a chuckle. I am too poor for this car

Old 11th June 2012, 08:07 PM

Best thing so far is the indicators that flash three times if you tweak the stalk. pressing the dongle in and letting go starts the car as long as i still have my foot on the brake once the glow plugs have done their thing.
Biggest disappointment is the B&O hifi.
Wind noise from near side has me checking the windows are shut every journey. Everybody else thinks it's lovely, I am finding more little niggles as the days pass. I want my S back, if only to stop the tyre noise, sounds like a beehive on the wrong surface.

Old 12th June 2012, 12:56 AM

The other persons insurance company is paying about £4/500 a day for you to drive around in that car, enjoy.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 12th June 2012, 11:59 AM

Talking of old and new Audi got me thinking about it…. I don’t think a derv should ever be wearing an S badge FFS. I know I’m leaving myself wide open here for all the, how much torque derv’s can have and how much better they are these days with power, but at the end of the day it’s a derv just like a van, truck, boat and tractor. Slow revving, noisy, dirty, smelly and global dimming contributing.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:16 PM

S badges should be retained for the highest performance and best drivetrain tech (OK.. RS too).. But my sootchucker is quicker than a D2 S8 (OK the engine is years newer than the D2), so I can see some logic to that argument, but a free-revving petrol is always nicer than a diesel.

I know.. I know..