A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 6th January 2013, 04:55 PM

Default Self Levelling Suspension adaption

Good Afternoon everyone,

I am trying to adjust my headlamp aiming, after changing a self levelling sensor (front ns). So I thought, lets ensure the suspension is reset first using teh normal adaption routine. I can't get the rear levelling to align with the expected values.

I ran through the self levelling process for all 4 wheels 5 times. My values for NSF were OK, measured 395 - 397 mm and value 396mm, OSF OK, measuring 396 - 398mm and value of 397mm. However, NSR is way out and even 5 cycles did not improve it much. It started off at 400mm and dropped down to 393mm despite an initial reading of 378mm. OSR measured 364 - 369mm against a reading of 378mm. I followed teh procedure laid down in VCDS to the letter, following the cycle of NSF/OSF/NSR/OSR then channel 5 set to 1 to save values.

Can anyone suggest what I have to do to get the NSR to come down to around 378mm and OSR up to 378mm?

I then have a follow on problem trying to get my headlamps to raise up a little. I follwed the VCDS process shown here

1. Park the car on a level surface, 10 to 20 feet from a wall if possible. Connect the VAG-COM as usual, with both ignition and xenons on.
2. Select control module 55 - H. Light Range. This is somewhat hidden under "Less Common Modules"
3. Take note of the value in the Soft Coding cell. This is the headlight level as set by the dealer when they performed the PDI. If you manage to muck things up you can always go back to this default value
4. Click on "Recode - 07" and you will be able to modify this soft coding value. A smaller value aims the lights higher, and lower value aims the lights lower. Click on "Do it!" to see the lights move up or down.
5. Don't over do it. I suggest that you choose a value that still has a gentle downwards slope to avoid blinding other people on the road. I changed my original value from 00060 to 00020 and it's perfect.
6. Now you need to recalibrate the self-leveling reference point, or else you will throw a code the next time you start the car.
7. To do this, select "Basic Settings - 04" and scroll up to "Group 001". In a few seconds the first cell will change from "wait" to "set". Now scroll to "Group 002" and wait until the controller says "Learned"
8. Enjoy your improved visibility!

But the values allowed for aiming were vehicle specific (with 18 for Audi A8 D3 which was already correctly set and no ability to get into Group 2. It keeps saying error, security protected or something similar.

Any suggestions on how to raise headlamps.

My car is a 2006 Audi S8 V10 with adaptive bi-xenon lights (see round corners reflector type which come on when wheels turned).

I am a relative novice c oncerning VCDS and learning as I go. My local friendly indie advised proceed with caution and always write down previous values before any changes!

Thanks

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.