A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th July 2016, 03:55 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Doesn't it already have a reverse input? Sure I read somewhere that it uses it for the sat nav coupled with the speed signal as backup for the GPS.
I think you might be right. It's years since I looked into this, but that rings a bell ...
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 16th July 2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
It's possible also that the video switching takes place in the boot
Don't think so. Remember I don't have a TV tuner, just a video input lead/adapter plugged into the 10-pin DIN-style socket on the RNS-D.
It works fine, when plugged in (even without any video signal) it is detected and the RNS-D will cycle through it, when missing it just offers Radio and CD.

According to various comments I've read online it's a pretty standard video connection and just needs one specific pin to be at +12V for the RNS-D to recognise it exists.
The attached picture is actually from a unit made for Ford by Blaupunkt but I'm pretty sure it's the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoPins.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	13823  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th July 2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 16th July 2016, 04:58 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Don't think so. Remember I don't have a TV tuner, just a video input lead/adapter plugged into the DSIN-style socket on the RNS-D.
Ah, yes. Must be all done in the head unit in that case. I remember I modified the analogue tuner unit on mine to add a some RCA connections and I seem to remember there was some video switching capability built into that unit to switch between the tuner and an external source, but you would still need to select the tuner source on the RNS-D of course.

It's possible in that case that the composite video is digitised before switching between it and the various menu displays, which would make overriding that more difficult (particularly without a schematic). In which case a circuit to simulate the required button presses might be the simpler option. Ideally the circuit should have some feedback to 'know' when the analogue video input has been selected. From memory, I think the tuner only powers-up when the TV input is selected, so it might be possible to detect something to use as feedback there.

Edit: The pinout you've posted suggests component (RGB) inputs. Also there appears to be a 'Vid-ON' control connection ..... is that an input or an output to control the tuner I wonder?

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 16th July 2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 16th July 2016, 05:20 PM

Yes, I think the box I have converts composite video to RGB and I also think the Vid-on control is the one I referred to above which just lets the RNS-D know it's there so that it appears in the list of options.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd July 2016, 05:59 PM

Minor progress, of sorts today, on the back of another issue, caused by an incompetent garage.
(There will be a short angry thread on this later, re removing/repairing numberplate light fittings - http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11923 )

Anyway, the upshot of this "issue" was that I had to pretty much totally dismantle the boot lid including the liner AND the numberplate mounting plate.
Doing so I did find some useful information to help me execute my plan:

1. The numberplate mounting plate is only held on by 5 short self-tapping screws (from behind into its plastic), plus the two long metal screws (optional if adhesive pads are used) through the numberplate itself.

2. One of these, at least in my case, is partly obscured by a large component of the boot locking mechanism, but I just managed to undo/redo it without taking that off.

3. The spare plate I bought is EXACTLY the same colour (though many years older) than the one on my car. Examined in all lighting conditions including full sun. Though on the spare the central (of 5) screw fixings is hollowed out and ineffective.

4. Importantly there are no spare holes in the boot lid behind the plate, just those for the screw fixings and two numberplate lights. So a new hole will need to be drilled for the camera lead.

5. You can take the plate off (and replace) with the lights in situ. So I might drill the hole and run the cabling, leaving the connectors ready at the hole behind the plate. That way I can easily take the plate off and swap it for the spare with the camera pre-mounted and join the leads - it has about a 50cm fly lead for power and video and there's a decent void for the cabling.

6. You need the boot liner off to take the plate off, but I expected that and need to do that to run wiring. Done it many times.

7. Finally, I can't see any way of incorporating the camera in either of the light units so it will be separate from them.

I don't have time to fit the camera today so I'm off to reassemble my boot lid now.

Last edited by HPsauce; 3rd October 2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 24th July 2016, 01:36 PM

Another bit of mental gymnastics that might help anyone else thinking of doing something similar, i.e. fitting the camera above the number plate.

The plastic backing plate, as noted above, is fixed with a few screws and the numberplate lights are fitted separately (and tightly) directly to the metal boot lid, presumably to keep them watertight. The plate itself is not sealed around the edge (though someone here has done that) so water can, and will, find it's way behind it.
Even if sealed all round the edge sprayed water can enter around the numberplate lights, there's a significant gap there.
There are small sealing discs around each fixing screw location because of that. I suspect degradation of those (mainly the larger two for the two big numberplate screws) is probably to blame for the water I get inside the boot lid, so I'll renew all those when I do this job properly.

So, I'm going to mount the camera on the plastic backing plate, ensuring it is as waterproof as possible - the cable entry isn't clever so I'll seal that. But if there's a hole for the cable I won't worry much, though I may put a grommet on it.
But beyond that I'll concentrate on providing a new waterproof entry (grommets, sealer etc.) for the cable through the metal behind it, making sure any connections are behind the seals I use.

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th July 2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 1st August 2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
So, I'm going to mount the camera on the plastic backing plate, ensuring it is as waterproof as possible
Or maybe not.....

Looking again at how the numberplate lights are fixed directly to the metal structure of the boot lid, I'm very tempted to do the same with the camera.
It will make sealing against water ingress easier, and adjusting the position precisely for the best view. Wiring will be simpler too.
Finally, a hole will need cutting in the plastic numberplate mount so that it fits over the camera, but that will be easy enough.
Old 3rd October 2016, 02:51 PM

Back from holiday and the weather this week looks good, so I've started preparing and planning....
- Removed boot lid liner, carefully storing/labelling the fixings (2 nuts and 3 different types of screw)
- Removed number plate and backing plate.
- Plugged (rubber bungs) the 5 backing plate fixing holes and refitted number plate - luckily had some identical but shorter hex head bolts to do it neatly.

Started examining and thinking about holes for:
a) camera mounting and lead
b) emergency boot latch release

The top centre backing plate fixing is slightly offset to the left/nearside so the camera will go slightly right of centre. Needs to clear the backing plate central "rib" and obviously the right-hand number plate lamp - plenty of room in between, about 3".

The emergency release I'm considering something as simple as a piece of nylon cord (even a cable tie?) directly attached to the release lever on the latch, adjacent to where the actuating rod is connected. That overcomes any possible failures in the linkage and/or joints,
That cord would the run to the right/offside (it moves that way to release) and be fixed to the back of a bung in a small hole in the boot lid metal, with a slightly larger hole in the backing plate.
Then to open up, remove number plate, lever out anonymous-looking bung and tug on cord
Old 4th October 2016, 01:58 PM

Work keeps getting in the way, but having fixed the broken numberplate light this morning I did a test fit of the camera in its exact proposed position.

Horizontal angle looks good flat on the metal, but ideally could be a degree or two higher (as adjusted in the picture below using a sliver of blu-tack).

There is no sealing material supplied so I plan to have a thin layer of silicone sealant to cover the cable hole and sit behind the camera sealing its cable exits too. That will allow the very small amount of vertical and horizontal adjustment needed to get a perfect alignment. There are also a pair of fixing screws which go through slots not holes so there's plenty of "slack" for last minute tweaking.

Hope to start cutting metal tomorrow; don't want to start today as I need to use the car later. Still pondering the emergency boot release option(s).
Also need to replace the boot opening seal while I'm at it; it's damaged at the sill. That will probably happen once I've worked out the video cable route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test1.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	14523  

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th October 2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 5th October 2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
The top centre backing plate fixing is slightly offset to the left/nearside so the camera will go slightly right of centre. Needs to clear the backing plate central "rib" and obviously the right-hand number plate lamp - plenty of room in between, about 3"
Then again, maybe not? There might be a better solution.

Looking at the plastic backing plate again I see no reason why the camera can't actually be totally central. There's plenty of space behind the metal to allow that.
The only (minor) issue is that the plastic backing plate has a sort of "rib" in the centre, directly between the two numberplate lights. It doesn't seem to do anything except maybe add a bit more rigidity to the moulding, but that seems unimportant.
It will mean cutting out a tiny bit more plastic but that's hardly a problem. And in fact the way it's shaped may actually provide a better, more easily sealed, cable exit route.

Anyone have any thoughts about that little rib?