A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 26th July 2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
It's very common for the shaft sleeves of the fan to get clogged up with carbon from the brushes.
You can often get away with a clean of the centre housing.

Tapping it may give you temporary relief, or try manually ramping the fan speed up to full and see if it will go doing that.

Easy to get at fan, it's the first thing you come to under the fresh air intake grille and shut off flaps.
Good write up on Audipages for fan replacement, take the procedure as far as required...
Thanks for that, especially the Audipages link, missed it yesterday.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th July 2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I've just done one. Not easy at all, although I had the engine out which helped considerably!
The Audipages write-up doesn't make it look too bad, though there is no mention of rusted screws there.....
And they do seem to have a special tool, similar to what you describe, to get at the awkwardly-located ones.

I guess with the engine out you can get right up to it quite easily.

I'd be interested to hear how Ainars got on when he did it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th July 2017, 02:04 PM

As an aside, I also notice that the black foam around the outside (that seals against the bonnet) is falling apart, I even got bits of it blown into car during testing.
Is this a "thing" that's worth buying (if available) or would any decent foam of suitable thickness do?
Old 26th July 2017, 03:05 PM

I replaced my foam shortly after buying the car.
Readily available from Audi.
Part number 4D0820513A.

I'm personally tempted to take a look at generic auto rubber supplies to see if there's a suitable rubber seal to use instead. Probably pointless, as I reckon the seal weakness is at the sides anyway...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 31st July 2017, 02:15 PM

The fan has behaved very oddly over the weekend, sometimes working and sometimes not. And turning the speed up to max makes no difference at all, it just seems to decide to work, sometimes mid-journey

Just been out to the car, it's pretty thick cloud at present, and the fan is just ticking over slowly driven by the solar panel.
IIRC that's driven directly with a relay that switches over to HVAC control/power when the ignition is on.

My thinking is that if it was the fan bearings or motor that are at fault then a low voltage input from the solar panel wouldn't make it work at all (and a high fan speed setting might prod it into life), so my suspicion still currently is focussed on the connector/wiring and some sort of poor/intermittent contact.

Currently awaiting some "bits" from A8parts that should assist with diagnosis.
Old 31st July 2017, 02:51 PM

Motor speed controller?
Old 31st July 2017, 03:32 PM

It fails equally on solar or HVAC control (including REST) so has to be something pretty fundamental/simple.

To clarify:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
turning the speed up to max makes no difference at all, it just seems to decide to work, sometimes mid-journey
What I meant was that if it's not turning over changing the fan speed (applying higher voltage presumably) doesn't kick it into life.
If it IS working the controls all act as normal.

Last edited by HPsauce; 31st July 2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 1st August 2017, 09:07 AM

I did mine too my motor would pick up speed cornering, rusty screws 4 of them snapped off i think. Removed the awkward ones with a bit in small ratchet. Replacement motor from A8Parts and asked for one from car without solar.

Linky to previous post

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 1st August 2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 1st August 2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Motor speed controller?
Ah, did you mean the thing, mentioned here as hedgehog-like? http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....35&postcount=5
I didn't even know it existed though I had seen the cooling fins. Is it directly in the circuit to the motor (I would assume not) or "just" another input to the HVAC system?

PS. Just been out to check today's status and I can hear the fan ticking over nicely driven by the solar panel.

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st August 2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
I replaced my foam shortly after buying the car.
Readily available from Audi. Part number 4D0820513A.

I'm personally tempted to take a look at generic auto rubber supplies to see if there's a suitable rubber seal to use instead.
I've ordered some generic weatherproof foam strip, 19mm wide and 10mm thick.
Three metres for a fiver, delivered. Should allow a few replacements if needed.