A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 4th January 2021, 11:20 PM
paulrstaylor paulrstaylor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,189
Default

Well that will teach me to read and not just look at your sig pic! In that case you should have measured the pads and entered the thickness when you changed them

Could be you are within a tolerance, but probably worth running the adaption when you get vcds!

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index..._Parking_Brake
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 4th January 2021, 11:35 PM
S81 S81 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: N ireland
Posts: 54
Default

Thanks I'll check to see when it arrives
__________________
Audi S8 D3 07MY 5.2 V10 Daytona Grey
With Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, Advanced Parking System, TV Analog/ Digital, Rear/Back Window blinds, Front and rear heated seats, Alcantara Roof, Extended leather Pack 2, Extended Aluminium pack, Carbon and Aluminium trim packs, RSE, PS2.
Daily driver
Audi A8 d4 2014 phantom black 3.0 tdi

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi A4 1996 1.9 tdi green
Audi A6 1.9 tdi 2000 blue
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey
Audi a8 4.0 tdi d3 2006 black
Audi a8 3.0 tdi d3 2010 black
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 5th January 2021, 08:38 AM
MikkiJayne MikkiJayne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,579
Default

The D3 definitely needs to know pad thickness as it uses that to calculate when the pads are worn down and hence control the light. If you change the pads without telling it the thickness of the new ones one of two things happens:

1, it still thinks it has old, worn pads and puts the warning light on before the new pads need it

2, it has no idea what pads it has so doesn't both with the warning light at all. The first sign you get of worn pads is it wearing through to the metal and destroying the discs! That is assuming, of course, that you rely on the warnings to tell you when the pads are worn.

It uses the servo in the motor to determine how much the piston moves by when it applies or releases the parking brake, but it doesn't know the absolute position of the piston, hence why you have to tell it the pad thickness so it can calculate the change from the piston movement.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 5th January 2021, 12:37 PM
tc4332's Avatar
tc4332 tc4332 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wigan, Greater Manchester, UK
Posts: 2,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The D3 definitely needs to know pad thickness as it uses that to calculate when the pads are worn down and hence control the light. If you change the pads without telling it the thickness of the new ones one of two things happens:

1, it still thinks it has old, worn pads and puts the warning light on before the new pads need it

2, it has no idea what pads it has so doesn't both with the warning light at all. The first sign you get of worn pads is it wearing through to the metal and destroying the discs! That is assuming, of course, that you rely on the warnings to tell you when the pads are worn.

It uses the servo in the motor to determine how much the piston moves by when it applies or releases the parking brake, but it doesn't know the absolute position of the piston, hence why you have to tell it the pad thickness so it can calculate the change from the piston movement.

Is this a sign for the future?
Mikki knows something about D3's
Is there hope for the lesser ones amongst us?
If I don't fall of my perch could it be that my D4 could feel the touch of her gentle hands?
__________________
Ray at Wigan Pier

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.



Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 5th January 2021, 01:37 PM
MikkiJayne MikkiJayne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Is this a sign for the future?
Mikki knows something about D3's
Is there hope for the lesser ones amongst us?
If I don't fall of my perch could it be that my D4 could feel the touch of her gentle hands?
I know many things about D3s. These things are exactly why I only work on D2s
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 5th January 2021, 02:53 PM
David's8's Avatar
David's8 David's8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland
Posts: 3,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I know many things about D3s. These things are exactly why I only work on D2s
Well, that put you straight Ray !
__________________
2002 D2 S8 Ming Blue, Valcona leather, Vavona wood insert, solar sunroof (to be fitted), Heated rear seats, extended leather pack, 18 Avus, ski hatch, Bose, auto dim rear view mirror, rear blind.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 6th January 2021, 06:23 PM
tc4332's Avatar
tc4332 tc4332 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wigan, Greater Manchester, UK
Posts: 2,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Well, that put you straight Ray !

I am pleading Old Age, I didn't mean it Guv.
It was the Leprechauns that made me do it, honest.


My D4 passed it's MOT today. It had been delayed by 6 months due to Corona.
It came up with 14 days to oil change so that was done at the same time with a new filter. I can't complain, cost me 100. Parts only, no labour cost.
I am so lucky, the way I am looked after.
__________________
Ray at Wigan Pier

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.



Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 6th January 2021, 08:47 PM
David's8's Avatar
David's8 David's8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland
Posts: 3,289
Default

Ah, the "Big boys made me do it and then ran away" excuse.... or in your even less credible case, the small boys.

Good to hear you got the MoT though, Ray
__________________
2002 D2 S8 Ming Blue, Valcona leather, Vavona wood insert, solar sunroof (to be fitted), Heated rear seats, extended leather pack, 18 Avus, ski hatch, Bose, auto dim rear view mirror, rear blind.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.